Saifuddin dismisses PN MP's claim of 1.2 million illegal Chinese nationals in Malaysia


KUALA LUMPUR: Datuk Seri Saifuddin Nasution Ismail has rubbished claims by an opposition MP that there are 1.2 million Chinese nationals in the country illegally.

The Home Minister chided Siti Mastura Muhammad (PN-Kepala Batas) for her recent allegations, which he said were unfounded and could not be defended.

"I want to settle once and for all the allegations made by YB Kepala Batas that there are 1.2 million Chinese nationals who entered the country since 2018 and have not left," he said when winding up his ministerial replies on the motion of thanks on the royal address in the Dewan Rakyat on Monday (March 11).

He said the administration was transparent about the issue and based its response on data.

He clarified that 46 million foreigners entered the country between Jan 1, 2021, and Dec 31, last year.

"Of this, 39 million had left, meaning six million are still here," he said.

He noted that those who remained behind were on long-term passes valid for three to five years.

He added that this did not include those on social visits, diplomatic and student passes, among others.

"There are those who have overstayed, and that is why we implemented the recalibration programme so that they can register (and return home)," he said.

He added that 2.6 million foreigners who overstayed had come forward to register with the Immigration Department.

Meanwhile, Lim Guan Eng (PH-Bagan) said Siti Mastura should retract her allegations and apologise to Saifuddin for her allegations, which could spark racial discontent.

He requested Speaker Tan Sri Johari Abdul to order Siti Mastura to do so.

However, Johari said he was not present in the House when the allegations were made but would look into the matter.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Flood situation worsens in northern Sabah as evacuees rise to 4,761
TB outbreak: Johor Ramadan bazaar SOPs unchanged, says exco rep
Bersatu crisis: Raub, Lipis divisions dissolved today
Smooth traffic reported on several main highways as at 9.40pm
Health Ministry accelerates efforts to strengthen food safety control to achieve target by 2030
Pahang Sultan, Tengku Ampuan express sadness, sympathy at Trooper Indiran's death
Perak urges use of reusable bags ahead of ban on single-use plastics
Ramadan bazaars: A beloved annual tradition for Malaysians
Bersatu appoints new task force to restructure divisions, wings
Madani govt component parties must strengthen cohesion to realise people's mandate, says Zaliha

Others Also Read