Flood woes worsen in Kelantan


Rain’s aftermath (Top to bottom) Children playing with a boat in flood water at Kampung Kubang Kuau, Pasir Mas, Kelantan. A view of inundated homes at Kampung Kubang Gual. A shopkeeper in the village moves his inventory to higher ground. — Bernama

PETALING JAYA: The number of displaced flood victims in Kelantan has continued to climb up, with more than 1,300 victims identified due to the floods.

According to the Social Welfare Department’s (JKM) Info Bencana portal, a total of 1,351 victims have been placed at 10 temporary flood relief centres.

State authorities have also opened up five new temporary flood relief centres in Kota Baru, two in Tanah Merah, and another two in Pasir Mas as of 5.30pm yesterday.

This is an increase from a total of 1,298 displaced flood victims earlier at noon the same day.

The highest number of flood victims can be found at the SK Gual To’ Deh, with a total of 425 victims, in the district of Pasir Mas.

On Nov 21, Mentri Besar Datuk Mohd Nassuruddin Daud directed all state agencies and elected representatives in Kelantan to take all measures necessary to assist residents in their respective areas following continuous rain that may lead to flooding.

He said the Irrigation and Drainage Department has also forecast floods due to river overflow if the current weather pattern persists in Kelantan.

The Malaysian Meteorological Department (MetMalaysia) had issued an alert-level continuous rain warning for Kelantan and Terengganu, from Friday to today.

MetMalaysia issued a statement saying that areas involved in Kelantan are Tumpat, Pasir Mas, Kota Baru, Bachok, Machang and Pasir Puteh.

Meanwhile in Johor, the two flood relief centres in the Johor Baru district were closed at noon yesterday as flood waters have fully receded.

The State Disaster Management Committee (JPBN), in a statement, said the relief centre at Dewan Muafakat Kampung Cahaya Baru housed 253 victims from 66 families, while SK Bukit Mutiara accommodated 312 evacuees from 84 families.

Both relief centres had been in operation since Friday morning.

According to the statement, all flash flood victims from five villages, namely Kampung Paya Kenangan, Kampung Pasir Tebrau, Kampung Kangkar Tebrau, Kampung Sentosa Damai and Kampung Sentosa Barat, have been allowed to return home.

Meanwhile, nine districts in the state are expected to have clear weather today except for Kluang.

Heavy rain since last Thursday has led to flooding in five villages in the Johor Baru district, with several rivers at danger and alert levels.

Meanwhile, in Terengganu, the affected areas are Besut, Setiu and Kuala Nerus.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

flood , monsoon , Kelantan , agencies , rain

   

Next In Nation

Abdul Hadi being investigated by special police investigation team, says Saifuddin
Imposing service tax on maintenance sector not done transparently, says Syed Saddiq
Grads earn more now but skills mismatch still high, survey finds
Interviews with citizenship applicants to be done in relaxed manner, says Saifuddin
Cloud seeding urgently needed in Sabah, says Gagasan Rakyat veep
RM3.2bil lost to online scams from 2020 to 2023, says Kulasegaran
China-Tawau direct flights a big boost for tourism, says Liew
Own your dream home in Putrajaya through Putrajaya Property Deals
SJPP to help bumi firms with RM5bil allocation, says Finance Minister II
Anwar accorded ceremonial welcome in Melbourne

Others Also Read