Johor Crown Prince, family safe following Bangkok shooting

JOHOR BARU: Tunku Mahkota Johor Tunku Ismail Ibni Sultan Ibrahim and his family, who were nearby when a shooting incident took place at a Bangkok luxury mall, has shared the horrifying experience on social media.

The Johor crown prince said he and his family were sitting at a hotel lobby near the mall when the shooting took place, as he heard loud screams and saw many people fleeing from the mall into the hotel.

“We immediately brought our young children to a safe place by running underground with my team. I was also concerned about the crowds of people out there and what weapon was used as well as the overall situation," said Tunku Ismail.

He added that there was a need to stay alert for anything that could have happened because he and his family only knew at the time was the sound of shots being fired.

ALSO READ : Three killed, three injured in shooting at Bangkok's Siam Paragon mall (update)

“I can still recall what I told my kids at the time, to reassure them that Babah and Mama are here, everything will be back to being okay,” he wrote in a statement on X, a platform previously known as Twitter, late Tuesday (Oct 3) night.

At least three people were reportedly killed and another three were wounded when a lone gunman opened fire at Bangkok’s Siam Paragon on Tuesday.

Unverified videos shared on social media showed people, including children, running out of the doors of the mall while security guards ushered them out.

Tunku Ismail added that he and his team formed a human shield to protect his family while his wife hugged and tended to their crying children.

He said he also instructed his security team to bring the car to the basement and take them to a safe location.

“I told them to bring us to the Malaysian Embassy but the driver informed me that the Singaporean Embassy was closer, so I contacted the Singapore Consul-General in Johor.

“We are now safe at the embassy. I have also contacted the Malaysian Prime Minister and Defence Minister to inform them what had happened. The Malaysian Ambassador to Thailand is also with us,” he added.

“After ensuring that it is safe, we will head to the airport and depart back to Johor. Unfortunately, I had to miss the Johor Darul Ta’zim (JDT) football match but I am grateful that my family and team are safe.

“This was the worst experience I have been through. Having to protect my children from a murderer. People died. May Allah bless their innocent souls.

“I am thankful towards my security team as well as friends in Singapore and Malaysia who assisted us. I am eternally grateful,” said Tunku Ismail.

The crown prince was in the Thai capital for his football club JDT’s match against Thailand’s BG Pathum United for the Champions League Group I match at the BG Stadium.

Subscribe now to our Premium Plan for an ad-free and unlimited reading experience!

Next In Nation

No change in retail price of bottled pure palm cooking oil, says ministry
PAS calling govt 'munafik' only shows its desperation, says PKR Youth No. 2
National Arts Awards to resume next year, nominations open Dec 18
1,495 flood victims at six relief centres in Pasir Mas
Penang Bridge to close for marathon on Dec 17
Third bundle of joy for HK singer Hacken Lee?
Madani govt one year anniversary programme starts today
Job scam rings in Myanmar planning to shift ops to Laos, warns MHO
Opposition MP support for PM does not violate Anti-Party Hopping Act, says Azalina
The Rise and Fall of A Sports Giant

Others Also Read