MACC tracking down agent involved in Chinese tourist incident


KUALA LUMPUR: Graft busters are tracking down the person believed to have acted as an agent or middleman for the female Chinese national who tried to enter Malaysia via KL International Airport (KLIA) last month.

"Initial investigations revealed that the individual who received RM18,000 to bring in the Chinese national through KLIA was not a Malaysian citizen," said Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) chief commissioner Tan Sri Azam Baki.

"We have already identified the individual and we are tracking him down," he said when contacted on Sunday (July 9).

Azam said the MACC could not ascertain whether the agent was still in the country or otherwise.

"We obtained the information on the individual based on our initial investigation. Give us space to investigate the matter thoroughly," he said.

Previously, Tourism, Arts and Culture Minister Datuk Seri Tiong King Sing alleged there was corruption involving some Immigration Department officers at KLIA.

He revealed that after admitting he was the individual involved in the ruckus at KLIA after attempting to free a female Chinese national after she was prohibited from entering the country.

Prime Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim had previously urged authorities to investigate the alleged corruption involving some enforcement officers at KLIA.

Besides the MACC, the police are also investigating the matter.

On Saturday (July 8), Azam had urged the media not to sensationalise issues surrounding allegations of bribery taking place at the country's entry points.

He was referring to a local media portal's report, which claimed that the MACC had found no elements of bribery in its investigation into the case

"It's too early to conclude the case, it is the sixth day of the investigation. There are still witnesses to be called. So we advise the media to not sensationalise the issue by quoting unidentified sources.

"We want a thorough investigation and once completed, we will refer it to the public prosecutor or the Attorney General – then it can be determined if there was an element of bribery or not," he said.

On Wednesday (July 5), Azam said the statements of 14 individuals had been recorded, including the two Chinese nationals; Tourism, Arts and Culture Minister Datuk Seri Tiong King Sing; eight immigration officers and several other witnesses.

He said the MACC would also investigate parties involved in handling foreigners issued with Not to Land (NTL) notices.

Subscribe now to our Premium Plan for an ad-free and unlimited reading experience!
   

Next In Nation

KL OCPDs must be more hands on, city's top cop says
State polls: No problem retaining Penang, Negri Sembilan and S'gor, says Rafizi
State polls: Selangor will lose out if not under unity govt, says Zahid
State polls: Kota Anggerik voters want better public transport, says PAS candidate
State polls: Umno voters now support Perikatan, says Peja
State polls: Early voters to fulfill their responsibilities on Aug 8
Intel shows S’gor no longer a Pakatan stronghold, claims Azmin
I wasn’t asleep for the past seven months, says Anwar
Penang's new ferry service begins with first passengers
Elon Musk wanted to meet me, says Anwar

Others Also Read