MUAR: Nabila Sedu wanted to buy new clothes for her four young children to wear on the first day of Hari Raya Aidilfitri but there will be no celebrations for the family this year.
This comes after her four children, Puteri Aisyah Tenko To, eight, Mohd Hakim, six, Mustakim, four, and three-year-old Fatihah Aisyah died in a tragic fire at their rented house in Kampung Sabak Awor here on Wednesday (March 29) night.
Nabila, 31, could not contain her grief as she kept holding and kissing one of her children's preschool clothes when met at Sultanah Fatimah Specialist Hospital here on Thursday (March 30).
“I did not have enough time to buy new clothes for my children for Hari Raya celebrations next month. Now they are all gone.
“They wanted black baju Melayu to wear on the first day. I told them that we will give them new clothes to wear but now I can't keep my promise,” she said.
However, Nabila and her Myanmar national husband Thein Ko Htut, 30, hurriedly left the hospital premises after saying this.
It is learnt that the couple and their four children have been renting the house at Kampung Sabak Awor while Thein works at a nearby restaurant to take care of his family.
Meanwhile, Muar OCPD Asst Comm Raiz Mukhliz Azman Aziz said police were investigating all aspects of the fire tragedy including negligence.
He added that police were still waiting for post mortem results of the four bodies as well as forensic reports from the Fire and Rescue Department pertaining to the cause of fire.
“Once we have received the reports, we will forward it to the Deputy Public Prosecutor's if there are any elements of negligence or crime.
“Preliminary investigations so far have not ruled out the possibility that the fire was caused by a short circuit in the kitchen, but further investigations are still underway,” he said.
On Wednesday, four children were killed in a fire that razed a house at Lorong Haji Muhammad near Jalan Ismail here.
Muar Fire and Rescue Department operations commander Shahrizal Mokhtar said that they received a distress call at 7.49pm and deployed 20 personnel to the location.
"The fire destroyed 80% of the house.
"After putting out the flames, the men then conducted a search for victims and found four children – two girls and two boys, aged between three and eight – unconscious inside a bathroom.
"The medical team then pronounced all of them dead at the scene," he said.
The four children were believed to have suffocated from the smoke.
The parents were not at home as the mother was believed to have gone out to buy diapers while the father was working at a restaurant, he said.