PETALING JAYA: The Luxembourg District Court has set aside the attachment order over the asset seizure of two PETRONAS companies in Luxembourg that had been requested by the self-proclaimed heirs of the late Sulu Sultan, says Datuk Seri Azalina Othman Said.
“Malaysia had applied immediately to the District Court of Luxembourg to obtain interim relief in the form of the lifting of the attachment.
“The hearing then took place on Dec 5, 2022 before the judge of the District Court whereupon the attachment was set aside,” said the Law and Institutional Reform Minister in a statement on Thursday (Jan 26).
ALSO READ : Former AG's statement on Sulu claim is too little, too late
On July 11, 2022, an attachment order was served to PETRONAS Azerbaijan (Shah Deniz) and PETRONAS South Caucasus over the seizure of their assets by bailiffs representing the eight alleged Sulu heirs.
Azalina noted the Spanish court that appointed arbitrator Dr Stampa, who had purportedly granted the heirs' claim of US$14.92bil, had invalidated Stampa’s appointment and nullified the alleged “preliminary award” rendered in Madrid.
ALSO READ : Sabah 'claim': Govt won't back down in defending sovereignty, says Wan Junaidi
“The French courts have stayed the enforcement of the purported ‘final award’ rendered by Dr Stampa in France, pending the outcome of Malaysia’s action to set aside the final award.
“This decision vindicates the government’s policy to vigorously defend Malaysia in every forum to ensure that Malaysia’s interests, sovereign immunity and sovereignty are protected and preserved at all times,” she added.