Further action to be taken after fatal road race


IPOH: Further action will be taken after studying a report into a road race in Pasir Salak that killed a spectator during an accident over the weekend, says a Perak exco member.

Exco member Khairudin Abu Hanipah said the state government will look into the full report from the organiser of the “CCT Battle of Champions” following the death of a spectator during the accident at the Dato’ Sagor Circuit, Kampung Gajah, on Saturday.

Khairudin, who is in charge of the Education, Higher Education, Youth and Sports portfolio, said further action will be taken after studying the report, particularly on the security aspect.

“On behalf of the state government, I offer our condolences to the victim’s family, and we do very much regret the incident.

“I will announce the next course of action after I have gone through the full report, including that from the local authority, on the technical aspects, the safety of spectators and racers, the officials on duty, and others,” he said when contacted by Bernama yesterday.

The spectator, a 32-year-old workshop mechanic, died during treatment at the Changkat Melintang Hospital in Lambor Kanan after he was hit by a race car that went off the track.

In the accident at around 3.30pm, two of the 12 vehicles, which were making a turn during a race, grazed each other and crashed into the right side of the circuit and into a grassy area, hitting a spectator.

A post-mortem found that he died from head injuries and bleeding in the lungs.

Khairudin said the state government will not compromise on safety and security at any motorsport event, adding that the organiser should be held responsible if it had conducted the programme without following standard operating procedures.

Earlier, Perak police chief Datuk Seri Mohd Yusri Hassan Basri said investigations are ongoing in the case, which has been classified as a sudden death.

Mohd Yusri said the spectator had been treated by medical officers at the circuit before being taken to the hospital for further treatment on Saturday evening.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
   

Next In Nation

More than 50 houses in Melaka hit by flash floods
Tamil new year celebration in KL's Little India unites communities
Tamil New Year, Vishu hopes to bring harmonious beginning to life, says Zahid
Raya rush: Traffic from East Coast still congested, easing from north and south
SC, Bursa Malaysia step up monitoring to ensure stability in market amid Middle East developments
KLIA shooting: Suspect's photo sent to all border points, neighbouring country's authorities
Govt closely monitoring Middle East conflict and potential impact on Malaysia, says Anwar
Global community must work towards ending unrest in Middle East, says Anwar
Water load of fun as Bomba livens up Songkran festivities in George Town
Iran-Israel conflict: Preparation for 2024 haj season to go on, says Na'im

Others Also Read