MACC urges those with info on alleged misuse of RM600bil govt funds to come forward


PETALING JAYA: Those with relevant information should come forward to assist the probe on the alleged misappropriation of RM600bil in national funds by the previous government, says the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC).

In a statement on Thursday (Dec 8), the MACC said that it will conduct a thorough, transparent and professional probe into alleged irregularities in the spending of the national funds.

It also confirmed that an investigation paper has been opened on the case.

"Following that, any party who has all the necessary information, evidence or documents should come forward to the nearest MACC office to submit the information.

ALSO READ : MACC investigating allegations of misappropriation of RM600bil govt funds

"If necessary, MACC can also send officers to collect the information or documents," it said.

The controversy over the usage of the emergency funds totalling more than RM600bil when the country was facing the Covid-19 pandemic had been raised by former Melaka chief minister Adly Zahari on Nov 15.

Prime Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim said that he will leave it to the respective bodies to look into the issue of the RM600bil allegedly misappropriated by the previous government.

Anwar on Dec 5 had said that there were several serious lapses in the alleged RM600bil expenditure during Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin's term as the prime minister.

ALSO READ : RM600bil questions: MACC likely to call three former cabinet members for questioning

However, he said that there had been no discussion yet on whether a Royal Commission of Inquiry was required to investigate the matter.

Muhyiddin, who is also the Perikatan Nasional chairman, had said that he never embezzled or misused funds meant to help the people and that if he did, investigations would have started long ago.

Media reports had said MACC would call up Muhyiddin, former health minister Khairy Jamaluddin and Tengku Datuk Seri Zafrul Tengku Abdul Aziz to give statements on the alleged misuse of the RM600bil fund. Tengku Zafrul was then finance minister in Muhyiddin’s Cabinet.

Tengku Zafrul, who is currently International Trade and Industry Minister, had tweeted that he had nothing to hide.

Article type: free
User access status:
Subscribe now to our Premium Plan for an ad-free and unlimited reading experience!
   

Next In Nation

MACC arrests Batu Pahat school staff member over RM100,000 false claims
Floods in Batu Pahat receding
King and Queen express condolences over Turkiye quake
Hajiji's position strengthened after three reps quit Warisan
Pakatan needs to consult Umno if OK to accept sacked members
Drugs seized, 12 foreign women arrested in anti-vice raid
Those with clean hands need not fear MACC probe, says PM
Video of three Warisan reps quitting party to support Hajiji goes viral
Melaka heritage site in a state of neglect
Pakatan had 31% Malay support in GE15, says Anwar

Others Also Read