Public free to travel anywhere despite roadblocks


JOHOR BARU: Police have assured the public that they are free to travel despite the setting up of 24-hour roadblocks.

Johor police chief Comm Datuk Kamarul Zaman Mamat said a total of 22 roadblocks had been set up in strategic locations throughout the state.

“This is part of our omnipresence and crime prevention strategy. The public should not be fearful as the roadblocks are set up for their own security.

ALSO READ: Police roadblocks to ensure peace, says IGP

“The public should not listen to rumours,” he said yesterday.

Members of the public, said Comm Kamarul Zaman, were free to travel to any place they wanted to, including Kuala Lumpur.

“If they can afford to pay the toll to travel, then there is no reason why they cannot go,” he said.

Earlier, Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Acryl Sani Abdullah Sani had in a statement said Bukit Aman was conducting 24-hour roadblocks at strategic locations in each district nationwide starting Tuesday.

In George Town, a total of 12 police roadblocks have been mounted by the state police contingent following a directive from Bukit Aman for a nationwide operation.

State police chief Comm Datuk Mohd Shuhaily Mohd Zain said the roadblocks were mounted at 12 separate locations throughout the state since Tuesday night.

“Three roadblocks were set up in the northeast district, one in southwest, two in south Seberang Prai, two in central Seberang Prai and another four in north Seberang Prai,” he said during a press conference at the state police headquarters yesterday.

Meanwhile, in the same press conference, Comm Mohd Shuhaily said a total of 33 reports related to identity theft during GE15 had been lodged.

He said from the total, 28 investigation papers have been opened by the police for investigation.

“So far, no arrest has been made and all the cases are being investigated under Section 7 of the Election Offences Act 1954,” he said.

He said the cases were part of 76 reports that were received by the police during the period of GE15 from Nov 5 to 19.

He said a total of 43 investigation papers for various election offences have also been opened and police had successfully solved four cases.

He added that during the GE15 period, police had also received a report related to a viral video on social media which touched on religious sensitivity by a politician from a political party.

“Eight police reports had also been lodged in other states such as in Kuala Lumpur (three), Perak (two), and one each in Pahang, Kelantan and Sabah,” he said.

He said the case is investigated by Bukit Aman via USJT (Classified Criminal Investigations Depart-ment) under Section 4A(1) of the Election Offences Act 1954, Section 298 of the Penal Code and Section 233 of the Communications and Multimedia Act 1998.

Article type: free
User access status:
Subscribe now to our Premium Plan for an ad-free and unlimited reading experience!
   

Next In Nation

2022 Umno assembly postponed to January next year, says Ahmad Maslan
Anwar sues Perak PAS commissioner for defamation
Minister to meet industry players on Dec 6 over egg, cooking oil shortage
Hadi: Perikatan to wait for next GE to 'topple' govt
Zambry: Unity govt to sign coalition agreement soon
Body of foreign woman found floating in Pulau Jerejak
Tok Mat to deliberate on LCS issue soon
Bella's case: Siti Bainun's motion to suspend defence trial proceedings rejected
Man held for threatening duo with folding knife, sword in Ampang
All factors considered before appointing Zahid as DPM, says Anwar

Others Also Read