JOHOR BARU: The police have rubbished allegations circulated on social media that there are rampant cases of children being kidnapped in Taman Perling and Bandar Baru Uda here.
Johor Baru North deputy OCPD Supt Fariz Ammar Abdullah said they have also identified the individual who posted the message in a messaging application group involving the local community.
“The message claimed there was an attempt to kidnap a kindergarten pupil in Bandar Baru Uda. It also claimed that such incidents often happen around the Taman Perling and Bandar Baru Uda areas.
“Our investigations so far show that there are no such kidnappings. The police have not received any complaints of such cases and no individuals have come forward to confirm claims of people attempting to kidnap their children.
“No missing child reports have also been made,” he said in a statement on Friday (Sept 30).
Supt Fariz said the police have also visited the areas and interviewed several individuals.
“Further investigations will be conducted. We urge the public to not believe such messages easily. Stern action will also be taken against those spreading unfounded and unverified news,” he said.
He said those spreading false information could be charged under Section 233 of the Communications and Multimedia Act 1998.