Former Navy chief to be charged


PUTRAJAYA: Former Navy chief Tan Sri Ahmad Ramli Mohd Nor (pic) is expected to be charged in court today with criminal breach of trust totalling more than RM20mil in connection with the littoral combat ship (LCS) scandal.

The 78-year-old was the former managing director of Boustead Naval Shipyard Sdn Bhd (BNS), the company building the six ships which have yet to be delivered.

ALSO READ: The bills kept flowing in

He will face at least three charges at the Kuala Lumpur Sessions Court at Jalan Duta, according to sources with knowledge of the investigation.

“Yes, he (Ahmad Ramli) will be charged,” a source told The Star.

ALSO READ: Double claims, marked-up prices and no supporting documents

Ahmad Ramli is expected to be charged under Section 409 of the Penal Code for committing criminal breach of trust involving BNS funds.

He is alleged to have approved payments without the agreement of the company’s board of directors.

ALSO READ: Deals signed without board meetings

One of the charges involved a payment of about RM13mil to Setaria Holdings Limited, which was done without BNS board approval.

Ahmad Ramli was named Navy chief in October 1996.

He retired in 1998 after serving the Royal Malaysian Navy for 35 years.

In July, The Star said that anti-corruption investigators were sure they had enough proof to charge a number of people involved in the multi-billion ringgit LCS project.

On Aug 4, Parliament’s Public Accounts Committee (PAC) revealed that some RM1.4bil in government allocations for the LCS project had been used for other purposes, including cost overruns.

The two-year probe by PAC also revealed that the RM9bil project was done through direct negotiations with Boustead Naval Shipyard Sdn Bhd and was inked in 2014.

Ahmad Ramli was one of the two names implicated and is mentioned repeatedly in the PAC report.

Following the report, Prime Minister Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob directed the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) to expedite investigations into the LCS case and told the Attorney-General to prosecute those responsible if there was enough evidence.

The Prime Minister said the Cabinet had also decided that two high-level investigative reports, including one by the governance, procurement and finance investigation committee, be made public.

The other, a forensic audit report on the project conducted in 2019, will be declassified.

Article type: free
User access status:
Subscribe now to our Premium Plan for an ad-free and unlimited reading experience!
   

Next In Nation

If there are calls, I am open to being PM for a third time, says Dr M
Zahid: Opposition delirious for taking credit for political stability
Man held after smashing car window to steal flour
Cops arrest two, seize RM2mil worth of ciggies in Kota Tinggi smuggling bust
Sukma 2022: Johor hits top of medal tally
Cops probe rally outside KL shopping complex
Over RM1.2bil allocated for rural roads, says Mahdzir
Increase in demand for domestic tourism, says Tourism Malaysia
GE15: PBM to only contest seats held by elected reps, says Zuraida
MAHB apologises for flood at Penang International Airport

Others Also Read