KUALA LUMPUR: Fourteen casual contacts of a Malaysian man infected with monkeypox have been identified and have so far tested negative.
Health Minister Khairy Jamaluddin said the Malaysian who resides in Singapore had travelled with friends and family to Penang from June 17-20 and was in Johor on June 11 and 12 and July 2 and 3.
“The 14 casual contacts do not require isolation but we will continue to monitor the risk. They have not tested positive.
“Another close contact has been identified by Singapore’s Health Ministry and is currently undergoing quarantine in the country. We are still investigating the cause of infection,” he said at Parliament here yesterday.
He added that the man was confirmed positive on July 6 after experiencing symptoms on June 30.
Khairy confirmed no cases of monkeypox had been detected in Malaysia yet.