KUALA LUMPUR: The High Court has fixed Nov 8 to deliver its decision in a 1Malaysia Development Bhd (1MDB)-linked forfeiture suit involving Datuk Seri Najib Razak and 17 others.
Justice Mohamed Zaini Mazlan set the date after he was informed that the prosecution did not wish to make an oral submission.
"Two months is about the time I need," the judge said in open court proceedings on Monday (Aug 30).
Deputy Public Prosecutor Harris Ong Mohd Jeffrey Ong told the court that the prosecution would be relying on its written submission that had been submitted earlier.
In May 2019, the government filed a forfeiture suit against the former prime minister and 17 others to recover assets, said to be linked to 1MDB.
The first notice of motion named Najib, his wife Datin Seri Rosmah Mansor, their children Nor Ashman Razak, 31, and Nooryana Najwa, 33, and Rosmah’s film producer son Riza Shahriz Abdul Aziz, 45, as respondents.
The same notice also named Roger Ng, 49, and his wife Lim Hwee Bin, 50.
It also named six other individuals - Mohd Kyizzad Mesran, 40; Aiman Ruslan, 34; Puan Sri Goh Gaik Ewe, 69; Kee Kok Thiam, 49; Tan Vern Tact, 45; and Geh Choh Hun, 42.
Goh is the mother of fugitive financier Low Taek Jho, or Jho Low, who is a central figure in the 1MDB scandal.
Kee, Tan, and Geh are said to be associates of Low.
It also named twp companies – Senijauhar Sdn Bhd, Rembulan Kembara Sdn Bhd – and three foundations – Yayasan Rakyat 1Malaysia, Yayasan Semesta and Yayasan Mustika Kasih.
The items listed are luxury goods (263 handbags, 14 watches and 27 shoes), 27 vehicles, RM19,064,205.58, multiple foreign currencies and a property in Tanjung Bungah, Penang.
A third company - Obyu Holding Sdn Bhd - is the sole respondent in a second notice of motion which was filed separately.
The government sought to forfeit 11,990 pieces of jewellery, 401 watches and 16 units of watch accessories, 234 sunglasses, 306 handbags, RM114,164,393.44 in cash and a property in Kuala Lumpur from Obyu Holding.