Covid-19: 165 fatalities bring death toll to 9,024

  • Nation
  • Saturday, 31 Jul 2021

PETALING JAYA: More than 30% of the Covid-19 deaths recorded over the past 24 hours were from Selangor, says Health director-general Tan Sri Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah.

A total of 165 people succumbed to Covid-19 on Saturday (July 31), bringing the country's death toll to 9,024.

Selangor recorded the highest number of deaths at 52, followed by Johor (30), Negri Sembilan (23) and Kedah (18).

Dr Noor Hisham said that of the record 17,786 daily cases reported on Saturday (July 31), a total of 260 cases (1.5%) were from Categories 3, 4 and 5, while the remaining 17,526 cases (98.5%) were from Categories 1 and 2.

“This is based on the clinical condition of the cases at the point that they were diagnosed with Covid-19. Some of the cases remained in the same category throughout the period of infection.

“However, some of the cases experience a change in their health status, either improving to a lower category or declining to a higher category,” he said in a statement.

Category 1 means a patient is asymptomatic. Category 2 is for those with mild symptoms.

Category 3 cases experience pneumonia, while cases in Category 4 require oxygen. Category 5 patients are in a critical stage requiring ventilator support.

Malaysia’s total cumulative Covid-19 cases is 1,113,272.

Of the new cases, nine were imported cases, while 17,777 were local infections.

Selangor again recorded the highest daily cases with 6,400 infections, followed by Kuala Lumpur (1,962 cases), Kedah, (1,389), Johor (1,144), and Sabah (1,035).

The three areas that recorded the fewest cases were Putrajaya (116), Perlis (16), and Labuan (nine).

There were also 11,718 recoveries nationwide, bringing total recoveries to 914,639.

The number of active cases is now 189,609.

Of the active cases, 1,062 are in intensive care units (ICU), with 534 requiring ventilator support.

A total of 28 new Covid-19 clusters were also reported, bringing the total number of active clusters to 1,106.

The new clusters were from workplaces (13), communities (12), a high-risk group (one), detention centre (one) and a religious cluster (one).

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 0
Subscribe now to our Premium Plan for an ad-free and unlimited reading experience!

Covid-19 , Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah , deaths


Next In Nation

Melaka may form unity govt, says Ahmad Zahid
Lorry driver killed in accident near Tawau
Ministry officials seize 44,000l of subsidised diesel in Labuan
35% of country’s waters re-measured, says deputy minister
Find new ways to boost Kota Marudu's coffers, council members urged
Unscrupulous law enforcement officers targeting foreigners, says MACC
Cops, firemen foil attempt of drug syndicate members to escape through house roof in Jinjang
Charles Santiago reappointed as SPAN chairman
Fix old sports facilities before building new ones, says Adam Adli
Pahang ready to table anti-hopping law if opposition supports it, says Wan Rosdy

Others Also Read