‘Ordinances were revoked’


PETALING JAYA: The government will not be advising the Yang di- Pertuan Agong to declare a new Proclamation of Emergency once the present nationwide state of emergency ends on Aug 1, says Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department (Parliament and Law) Datuk Seri Takiyuddin Hassan.

Takiyuddin (PN-Kota Baru) told Parliament during the first day of its five-day special sitting yesterday that the Federal Government had also decided, based on Article 150(3) of the Federal Constitution, to revoke all Emergency Ordinances made during the nationwide state of emergency which started on Jan 12 this year.

“I wish to confirm today, and I am subject (to the rules) if I do not tell the truth, that the Federal Government has decided not to advise the Yang di-Pertuan Agong to proclaim a new Emergency after the end of the current state of emergency on Aug 1.

“The government had decided based on Article 150(3) of the Federal Constitution to revoke the Ordinances that came into force during the Emergency.

“All six Emergency Ordinances were revoked on July 21,” he said, adding that because of this, the issue of annulment was no longer relevant.

Under Article 150(3), Parliament may pass a resolution to annul the Proclamation of Emergency and the Ordinances.

Takiyuddin: ‘All six Emergency Ordinances were revoked on July 21.’ — BernamaTakiyuddin: ‘All six Emergency Ordinances were revoked on July 21.’ — Bernama

Takiyuddin further clarified that all Emergency Ordinances promulgated this year could no longer be applied from July 21 onwards.

“Ya, tak boleh pakai lah (Yes, it cannot be applied),” he said in reply to Lim Guan Eng (PH-Bagan).

Lim had earlier sought an explanation from Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin on whether the Yang di-Pertuan Agong, Al-Sultan Abdullah Ri’ayatuddin Al-Mustafa Billah Shah, had consented to the revocation of the Emergency Ordinances.

Opposition leader Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim (PH-Port Dickson) said a major policy decision such as the revocation should be tabled to the Parliament, and seconded Lim’s question on whether the King had consented to it.

“My question is, was this decision to revoke the Emergency Ordinances even presented to the Yang di-Pertuan Agong and did it get the King’s consent beforehand?

“I am asking for an explanation because if this did not happen, the announcement cannot be made as it is tantamount to insulting the institution of Malay Rulers,” said Anwar.

“By making the announcement, this will sharpen the constitutional crisis that we are currently facing.

“The Prime Minister and the relevant minister should take responsibility for revoking the Emergency Ordinances but sidelining the royal institution by not getting the King’s consent,” he said.

He further chided the government for not being transparent in its move to revoke the Ordinances, whereby neither Parliament nor the public were informed beforehand of the plan.

“Is this a pasar malam where announcements can just be made willy nilly?

“If the role of Parliament cannot be respected in a major decision such as revoking the Ordinances, then we wonder whether the other matters that we discuss in Parliament will be accorded any respect,” Anwar added.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 46
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights
   

Next In Nation

Hike in prices of goods not due to cartels, says Rosol
Sarawak state election: PBB has identified candidates, says Nanta
Melaka polls: Umno-PAS multi-way contests will make things difficult in Selangor
EC to present SOPs for Melaka election on Friday (Oct 22), says Khairy
We've met several party leaders but no rush to sign up, says Idris Haron
Covid-19: Health Ministry has learnt from Sabah polls experience, says KJ
Don't hurry into Sarawak polls, says local civil society group
Aukus military pact will go on, says Australia and UK
Two-year-old killed as lorry hits m-cycle from behind in Kota Tinggi
Floods recede in Kedah, relief centres in four other states remain open

Others Also Read


Vouchers