Man nabbed while trying to steal railway cables between Kempas Baru, Kulai


KULAI: A man has been arrested while attempting to steal railway cables along the Kempas Baru–Kulai stretch here.

According to Keretapi Tanah Melayu Bhd (KTMB), the incident came to light following reports of a technical disruption along the line at about 8.50pm on Friday (Feb 20).

"This led KTMB auxiliary police to patrol and conduct inspections between KM 728.00 and KM 728.25 along the railway track.

"They later spotted the suspect, who was believed to be cutting cables near the fence along the railway track area," it said in a statement on Facebook on Saturday (Feb 21).

The statement added that the suspect then attempted to flee the scene.

"He tried to escape to a nearby petrol station but was successfully apprehended by the officers.

"Further checks at the scene led to the discovery of several bags containing cable-cutting tools, which had been discarded in a drain nearby," it added.

KTMB said early investigations also revealed that the man has 28 prior criminal offences.

"He has since been handed over to the Kulai police for further action," it said, adding that trespassing and damaging railway property are serious offences under the Railway Act 1991 (Act 463) and the Land Public Transport Act 2010 (Act 715).

If found guilty, offenders could face strict penalties, including fines, imprisonment, or both upon conviction.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
Railway , Cable , Theft , KTMB , Kulai , Auxiliary Police

Next In Nation

US tariff ruling lifts market sentiment, positive for M'sian markets, say economists
Amanah looks at contesting 20 seats in Johor polls, subject to talks within PH, says state party chief
Fire razes 10 houses in Kota Belud, families moved to relief centre
DAP members, leaders must respect outcome of special congress, says Chow
Ramanan lauds SJKT Ladang Kinrara's success at international youth STEM event
Tengku Panglima Perang Pahang visits family of late Trooper Indiran
Govt has improved Armed Forces procurement procedures, says Defence Minister
Beware fake MACC article on scam site posing as The Star
Sabah flood evacuees increase to 4,652 in northern districts
No elements of abuse, bullying found in Trooper Indiran's death, says Khaled

Others Also Read