Sabah flood evacuees increase to 4,652 in northern districts


KOTA KINABALU: Flood relief centres in Pitas, Paitan and Kota Marudu continue to register new victims with the number increasing to 4,652 people from 1,799 families.

This is as of 4pm Saturday, a steady increase from the earlier 3,768 from 1,474 households at noon, said the Sabah State Disaster Management Committee Secretariat in a statement.

The victims come from a total of 79 villages across these districts. Pitas registered the most at 2,013 people from 787 families, followed by Kota Marudu with 1,923 people from 778 households and Paitan with 716 victims from 234 families.

Based on the current flood and weather situation, the number of displaced victims in Pitas and Paitan are still increasing, while the situation in Kota Marudu is stable.

These numbers change by the hour as many are still being registered upon arrival, whereas in areas where floods are receding, some villagers are returning home.

Sabah Electricity is still closely monitoring every affected village, especially areas where their generators or utilities are present, to reduce power disruptions and property damage.

Throughout the past two days, rescuers including Civil Defence Force officials, firemen and villagers themselves have been going to the ground non-stop to rescue displaced victims.

There are so far no reports of casualties from the flood.

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Ramanan lauds SJKT Ladang Kinrara's success at international youth STEM event
Man nabbed while trying to steal railway cables between Kempas Baru, Kulai
Tengku Panglima Perang Pahang visits family of late Trooper Indiran
Govt has improved Armed Forces procurement procedures, says Defence Minister
Beware fake MACC article on scam site posing as The Star
No elements of abuse, bullying found in Trooper Indiran's death, says Khaled
Ex-Bersatu members welcome to join Umno, says Khaled
70-year-old woman swindled out of jewellery in 'pukau' scam
TB outbreak: Mask up at crowded places like Ramadan bazaars, public urged
Public inspection for LRT Mutiara Line extension linking Penang Island, Seberang Perai

Others Also Read