PETALING JAYA: The Special Independent Committee on the Emergency has not finalised any decision on whether to extend or lift the Emergency before submitting it to the Yang di-Pertuan Agong, say the three Pakatan Harapan representatives on the committee.
In a joint statement Wednesday (June 16), the three Pakatan representatives, however, said they felt there was no need to extend the Emergency but the government should impose stricter restrictions under the movement control order (MCO).
"We also believe that Parliament should be allowed to reconvene immediately as a check-and-balance mechanism in accordance with the principles of parliamentary democracy in the country," the group said.
The statement was jointly signed by Datuk Seri Saifuddin Nasution (PH-Kulim Bandar Bharu), Datuk Seri Dr Dzulkefly Ahmad (PH-Kuala Selangor) and Anthony Loke Siew Fook (PH-Seremban).
The group also said since its formation early this year, Opposition lawmakers have shared their views as members of the special independent committee.
"Our views touch on various aspects involving the Covid-19 pandemic, vaccinations, daily death toll, hospital access, the country's economic status and the impact on the people," said the Pakatan leaders.
The Yang di-Pertuan Agong is scheduled to hold a special meeting with the Malay Rulers later Wednesday as a follow-up to his three-day audiences with political leaders last week.