KOTA BARU: Nearly 10,000 residents in Kelantan, mostly aged 60 and above, failed to show up for their vaccination appointments.
Kelantan Health Department director Datuk Dr Zaini Hussin told a Malay daily that among the causes were health problems.
"Some failed to attend because they had personal problems and many also did not give reasons to the vaccination centres (PPVs).
"Those who did not turn up to get vaccinated were those who registered for the second phase," Berita Harian reported on Monday (May 24). (The second phase of the National Covid-19 Immunisation Programme targets senior citizens and those with comorbidities.)
Dr Zaini said the authorities would typically contact each recipient a day or two before their vaccination to determine if they can be present at the appointed time.
"However, not everyone can be contacted because many people registered through the MySejahtera application.
"There are also those who did not answer the call," he said, adding that those who wanted to postpone the date or change the location of the PPV should contact the MySejahtera hotline.
He said his department would contact other individuals to replace those who could not attend on the original date so as to avoid vaccine wastage.
"So far, PPVs have been opened in Kota Baru, Pasir Puteh, Jeli, Machang, Kuala Krai and Bachok.
"As of yesterday, more than 340,000 individuals registered through MySejahtera but the number is still low," he said.