Number of flood victims drops in Sarawak, Sabah


Water babies: Two children playing with a box in floodwaters at Kampung Paka Paka, Sabah. — Bernama

KUALA LUMPUR (Bernama): The number of flood victims in Sarawak dropped to 330 on Saturday (May 22) afternoon compared to 426 earlier in the day, while only one person was allowed to return home in Sabah, bringing the total number of flood evacuees in the state to 4,721.

The Sarawak State Disaster Management Committee (JPBN) Secretariat, in a statement on Saturday, said although there was a reduction in the number of victims, the number of temporary relief centres (PPS) operating has increased to eight.

It said two new PPS have been opened in Limbang, namely at the Kampung Bidang Community Hall and Sekolah Kebangsaan Menuang hall while the PPS at Sekolah Kebangsaan Lintang in Lawas would be closed at 4pm.

Several areas in Lawas and Limbang are experiencing floods following heavy rains since Wednesday (May 19) night.

Meanwhile, Sabah JPBN said the number of victims was reduced by only one to 574 victims in Beaufort, while the worst affected district, Tenom, remained at 4,147 victims.

"A total of 38 PPS are opened in the state, comprising 35 PPS in Tenom and three in Beaufort, ” the Sabah JPBN said in a statement.

The PPS at Dewan Sri Ontoros houses the most flood victims in Tenom with 484 people, followed by Rumah Kebudayaan Belumbung Seberang (339) and Rumah Kebudayaan Angalor (288), while in Beaufort, Dewan DSP Mohd Dun Banir houses 238 victims.- Bernama

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 46
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights

flood , Sabah , Sarawak , PPS , victim

   

Next In Nation

No Barisan MPs have signed SDs since 'Sheraton move', says Shahidan
Last Covid-19-positive escapee recaptured in Papar, Sabah
Covid-19: 18.2% of cases in Sabah on Monday (Aug 2) are those who have been vaccinated
Covid-19: Cluster found for second time in Pasir Mas village in Kelantan
Melaka focussed on pressing state-level issues, says Idris Haron
Footage of Anwar and Dr M together gets tongues wagging
Covid-19 Watch: 8,000 Melaka retail sector workers to get jabs from mid-August
Negri cops warn of scam tactic via online job offers
Covid-19: Another grim record with 219 deaths on Monday (Aug 2)
Covid-19: Perlis, Sarawak and Labuan moving to Phase 3 of NRP

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers