PUTRAJAYA: The sub-district of Hulu Besut, in Besut, Terengganu will be placed under movement control order beginning May 11, after health authorities found that Covid-19 has spread to the locality.
Senior Minister Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob said that last week, the government had enforced the MCO on 14 sub-districts in Besut, following a surge in the number of cases.
“However, health authorities reported that infectivity has reached the Hulu Besut sub-district. After assessing the situation and with the advice of the Health Ministry, the government has agreed to impose MCO on the area from May 11-20, ” he said on Monday (May 10).
On May 5, the government announced that 14 sub-districts in Besut will be under MCO.
The affected localities are Kampung Raja, Lubuk Kawah, Pelagat, Tenang, Keluang, Bukit Kenak, Kubang Bemban, Jabi, Kerandang, Pengkalan Nangka, Pasir Akar, Tembila, Bukit Puteri and Kuala Besut.
Between April 1 and May 3, the Health Ministry had recorded 406 positive cases from 5,617 screenings carried out on residents at the localities.
The surge in cases in Besut district stemmed from movements of students and workers from neighbouring state with infectivity reaching 95%, and Besut district has also recorded 15 clusters within the period.