Existence of 'project cartel' syndicate is worrying, says Mohd Zuki Ali


PUTRAJAYA: The existence of a group of people allegedly manipulating the government's delivery system for personal gain is a cause for concern, says the Chief Secretary to the Government Tan Sri Mohd Zuki Ali (pic).

He said there would be no compromise for civil servants who are found guilty of misconduct or corrupt acts.

He expressed disappointment over a government tender cartel involving people within the civil service which was exposed by the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) recently.

"I fully support all efforts to eradicate any form of misconduct in the government's delivery system, especially issues related to corruption.

"The MACC's exposure of a government tender cartel syndicate is truly worrying.

"Continuous intelligence by the MACC successfully led to the arrest of several suspects.

"I regret that there are a handful of civil servants who allowed themselves to be used to score lucrative rewards.

"I give my assurance that stern action will be taken against any civil servant, if proven guilty, involved in this issue or any misconduct that taints the image of the public service," said Mohd Zuki in a statement Tuesday (April 6).

Mohd Zuki said the Public Service Department had been ordered to rotate its officers, especially those involved in "sensitive positions" where misconduct could occur.

"I have repeatedly reminded all department heads to uphold the concept of integrity in its organisational management by strengthening awareness programmes that are in line with the National Anti-Corruption Plan (NACP)," said Mohd Zuki.

On Sunday, the MACC crippled a "project cartel" believed to involve government projects worth RM3.6bil with the arrest of seven individuals, including its mastermind.

The "project cartel" is believed to have been awarded 345 tenders from different ministries and agencies nationwide since 2014.

It is learnt that the syndicate leader controlled more than 150 companies used to submit bids for tenders.

The seven suspects are now under MACC remand until April 5.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 46
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Next In Nation

Flashback #Star50: Catchy headline
New investment policy to be tabled to Cabinet on Wednesday (April 21), says Azmin
Education: Football for boys, netball for girls
Momentum builds on vaccine rollout
‘Onus on bosses to register workers’
Cases surge in Kelantan
Tremors evoke memories of 2015 quake
Elderly take jab like champs
States mobilising to meet and exceed targets in Phase Two
Johor preps SOP in push to reopen Singapore border

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers