SEREMBAN: More than 200 students at the Kuala Klawang Mara Junior Science College near here are believed to have come down with food poisoning after a meal, says state education committee chairman Datuk Dr Mohamad Rafie Ab Malek.
He said four had to be admitted at the Jelebu Hospital for observation but they should be discharged on Wednesday (Oct 21).
"The four are in stable condition. Overall, the situation is under control," he said, adding that the authorities were still investigating what made the students ill.
He said 54 students were 13 years old, 53 (14 years), 42 (15 years) and 41 (16 years).
The students had complained of nausea and diarrhoea between 2am and 4am today.
There are 724 students at the college.
Mohamad Rafie said the college cafeteria will be closed for two weeks to allow the health authorities to probe the matter.
"This is also to prevent a recurrence," he said, adding that a supplier appointed by the Jelebu Health office will provide meals to the students till investigations are completed.
He said lessons including for the 74 students pursuing the International General Certificate of Secondary Education will continue as usual.
"I have visited the college and would like to give assurance to parents not to worry.
The situation is under control as the management has taken measures to ensure the safety of the students," he added.
Did you find this article insightful?
100% readers found this article insightful