PETALING JAYA: The public should stop spreading fake news claiming that 13 Cabinet ministers had tested positive for Covid-19, says Senior Minister Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob.
The Defence Minister dismissed the claims as false and warned that action could be taken against those spreading fake news.
He said the authorities were committed to checking fake news that could trigger public panic.
"Action can also be taken against those forwarding the fake news," he said.
Up until Thursday (Oct 8), the police and the Malaysian Communication and Multimedia Commission had opened 270 investigation papers related to fake news associated with Covid-19.
"A total of 133 cases are still under investigation.
"Of the 35 charged in court, 19 pleaded guilty and 12 others were issued warning notices," he said on Facebook live Thursday.
The Communication and Multimedia Ministry's Rapid Response Team had issued denials relating to 384 items of fake news related to Covid-19.
Earlier, Ismail said the police-led compliance taskforce had carried out 54,494 checks, including at 3,447 supermarkets, 4,393 restaurants, 1,501 hawkers, 2,454 markets, 3,134 places of worship, and 1,254 recreation areas.
Action was taken against 420 individuals for breaching orders, of which 380 were given compound notices.
A total of 39 offenders were remanded, and one was released on bail.
Offences committed included failure to observe social distancing (145), failure to wear face mask (117), failure to provide tools or record personal details (96), involved in activities at entertainment centres (26), breaching the conditional MCO (26), operating premises beyond the stipulated time (six), working without permits (three), and employing foreigners without permit (one).
From July 24 to Oct 7, a total of 43,968 individuals who had returned from abroad had been placed under mandatory quarantine orders.
"Currently, 10,302 individuals are quarantined at 68 hotels and 15 other premises including public and private training institutes in Kuala Lumpur, Selangor, Negeri Sembilan, Pulau Pinang, Johor, Sarawak, Kelantan, Perak, Kedah, Perlis, Terengganu, Sabah and Labuan.
"A total of 106 were taken to hospital for treatment, and 33,560 had been discharged and allowed to return home," he said.
Did you find this article insightful?
40% readers found this article insightful