Flat under targeted enhanced MCO until Oct 7


Hotspot: District health office personnel conducting sanitisation in the Tongkang Yard flat compound. — Bernama

PUTRAJAYA: The Tongkang Yard flat in Alor Setar has been placed under targeted enhanced movement control order (MCO) until Oct 7. Senior Minister (Security) Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob said nine residents of the low-cost flat in Jalan Seberang Perak had tested positive for Covid-19.

The flat is located within the Kota Setar district which just had a two-week enhanced MCO lifted yesterday, but the latest development caused the lockdown in the area to be extended.

“Based on the Health Ministry’s assessment, there are still high-risk Covid-19 areas within the Kota Setar district. The location with the highest risk is the Tongkang Yard flat in Jalan Seberang Perak.

“There are 94 residents in the area who have been screened, and nine of them have tested positive for Covid-19, involving five households,” said Ismail Sabri in a statement. He said the targeted enhanced MCO imposed at the Tongkang Yard flat was to allow the Health Ministry to conduct follow-up screenings in the area.

He added that SK Sungai Korok Lama would be closed from Sept 26 to Oct 9.

“The police and the armed forces will be controlling movement at the location to ensure that all residents adhere to standard operating procedure (SOP) and the home quarantine order,” he said.

Kota Setar has been put under enhanced MCO from Sept 11 to 25 after the district experienced a spike in Covid-19 cases. Kota Setar is the only district in Peninsular Malaysia to be classified as a Covid-19 red zone. The other red zones are Tawau, Lahad Datu, Kunak and Semporna in Sabah.

Districts are identified as red zones when there are 41 and above Covid-19 cases recorded in the area.

Meanwhile, Ismail Sabri in his daily Covid-19 SOP compliance update said 78 people were arrested by authorities on Thursday for breaching recovery MCO rules. “Out of the 78 individuals, four were held under remand while 74 others were issued compounds,” he said.

He said the violations included not wearing face masks (23 individuals), leaving the house without a reasonable excuse at enhanced MCO areas (18), pub and nightclub activities (12), failure to provide check-in facilities for customers (11), premises operating without permit (eight) and failure to adhere to physical distancing rules (three).

The task force on SOP compliance, which involved 13,411 officers, conducted 56,484 checks at supermarkets, restaurants, hawker centres, factories, banks, government buildings and public transportation terminals.
Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Subscribe now to our Premium Plan for an ad-free and unlimited reading experience!
   

Next In Nation

Overtaking from left: 250 slapped with summonses in three-day ops
51 people nabbed by MACC so far in PenjanaKerjaya probe
MOE conducts in-depth probe into alleged kidnap bid of pupils
1MDB trial: Najib’s account considered ‘sensitive’, involved large sums, court told
Sabah, Sarawak police deny child kidnapping claims after viral videos
More initiatives to benefit veterans in the works, says Hishammuddin
Negri deputy speaker, three reps dropped from new state liaison committee line-up
National Veterans Council to be restructured, says Hishammuddin
Claims of kidnapping attempts outside school in Gombak fake, say cops
Heart disease leading cause of death globally, treatment cost expected to rise

Others Also Read