KUALA LUMPUR: All incoming travellers into Malaysia will have to undergo mandatory quarantine starting Friday (July 24), says Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob.
The Senior Minister reminded the public that the ruling applied to both Malaysians and non-citizens who had been allowed to come into the country, with the full cost having to be borne by the returnees.
"The Health Ministry discovered that 50% of those who are undergoing home quarantine do not follow the standard operating procedures (SOP).
"As announced previously, the government will not allow home quarantine anymore starting Friday, as all travellers will be subjected to compulsory quarantine at hotels and quarantine centres," he told a press conference in Parliament on Thursday (July 23).
The cost of the quarantine will be borne by the returnees, he added.
"However, students from B40 (lower-income) families and the disabled will be exempted from paying.
"As for sponsored students, we are asking the respective sponsors to bear the cost," he added.
From June 10 until Wednesday (July 22), a total of 23,456 Malaysians had returned to the country through the Kuala Lumpur International Airport, he added.
"A total of 23,378 of them were instructed to undergo home quarantine, while 79 were sent to hospital for treatment.
"On Wednesday, a total of 588 Malaysians returned through KLIA and KLIA2. They returned from various countries, including Hong Kong, Indonesia, Qatar, Singapore and Brunei," Ismail Sabri said.
Did you find this article insightful?
79% readers found this article insightful