PUTRAJAYA: More than 200 cases of fake news on the Covid-19 virus have been recorded so far, says Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob.
The Senior Minister said as of May 17, police and the Malaysian Communication and Multimedia Commission (MCMC) have opened 265 investigation papers (IPs) on the matter.
"From the total number, 178 cases are still under investigation while 30 people have been charged, 11 were serviced with a warning notice and 18 others pleaded guilty.
"The public are advised to check the validity of information or news before spreading it. They can check at sebenarnya.my," he told a daily press conference on Sunday (May 17).
The police and MCMC will take stern action against those spreading fake news, he added.
"The authorities will not compromise against anyone who spread fake news. Remember, even a VVIP was charged in court recently for spreading fake news.
"If you are unsure, don't share," he said.
Meanwhile, on the public sanitisation operations, Ismail Sabri said a total of 6,491 operations have been conducted at 76 yellow and red zones nationwide since March 30.
"On Saturday (May 16), 86 operations were conducted involving 30 yellow and red zones in 13 states, including 25 operations in Johor, 16 in Sabah, 15 in Melaka and 10 in Sarawak," he added.
On the quarantine centres, Ismail Sabri said 243 centres are operational as of 8am on Sunday involving 15,290 were undergoing compulsory quarantine.
"Since April 3, a total of 36,900 Malaysians have returned from other countries.
"From that number, 28,984 have completed their quarantine period and allowed to go home," he said.
Did you find this article insightful?
70% readers found this article insightful