Govt rescinds decision to allow hair, beauty salons to operate


PUTRAJAYA: The government has rescinded its decision to allow hair and beauty salons as well as optometry shops to operate during the movement control order (MCO) period, says Senior Minister Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob.

He said Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin made the decision following advice from health experts and authorities, as well as views from non-governmental organisations and the public.

“We are aware the decision to allow hair salons and barbershops to operate has been an issue.

“The government listens to the people and in line with this, the Prime Minister has decided not to allow these businesses to operate throughout the MCO.

“I hope this answers all questions and allay all concerns regarding the issue, ” he said on Monday (April 13).

On April 10, the government announced that it would allow an additional list of businesses to operate during the MCO.

The list included traditional and complementary medicine, hardware and electrical shops, optometry, manned laundrettes and hairs salons (restricted to haircuts).

It was later announced that the plan was to only allow barbers and hair salons located in “green zones” to operate.

On a proposal to allow students in local universities and colleges to return home, Ismail Sabri said the government had decided that they must remain where they are now.

“We heard the views of the Health Ministry as well as the police on the matter and it has been decided that students should remain where they are for now.

“This is to ensure that whatever efforts that have been put in place to fight the spread of Covid-19 is successful. We don’t want mass movement of people as new clusters may emerge, ” he said, adding that large numbers of people moving around would make police monitoring difficult.

“I hope the public understands why this decision was made. It is to safeguard the interest and safety – not only the students – but also their families and their community, ” he said.

Last week, Higher Education Minister Datuk Noraini Ahmad had said that the ministry would look into the best ways to send home students from institutions of higher learning.

The government had recently announced that the MCO would be extended to April 28.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 18
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

85% readers found this article insightful

Next In Nation

Cops nab four over armed robbery at shop selling luxury items
No open houses and visits, Sabahans celebrating Chap Goh Meh reminded
Malaysia to receive Sinovac Covid-19 vaccine on Saturday (Feb 27)
Health Ministry: 18 Covid-19 clusters end, eight new ones emerge
MCO violators face up to RM10,000 fine under amended Emergency Ordinance from March 11
Dams and parks under Penang Water Supply Corp to reopen from Friday
JB workshop raided for selling gas cylinders without a licence
Upko welcomes King's advice for Parliament to sit during Emergency
Health Ministry upbeat as daily case numbers dip below 2,000
Dark times for gambling dens as Melaka cops target their power supply

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers