KUANTAN: There will be no Ramadan bazaars in Pahang this year as the state government has decided not to allow the activity statewide, says Datuk Seri Wan Rosdy Wan Ismail.
The Mentri Besar said the decision was an effort to curb the spread of Covid-19, which was still afflicting the nation and threatening the health of the people.
He said this was also following the suggestion of Health director-general Datuk Seri Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah that no mass assembly should be encouraged within six months to a year, regardless of whether the movement control order was extended.
"This will involve 94 Ramadan bazaar locations in the entire state and 4,639 traders as recorded in last year's statistics in all 11 local authorities and the Tioman Development Authority," Wan Rosdy said in a statement on Wednesday (April 8).
He added that the state government was aware about the difficulties that traders would face, as well as the people, who would be affected by the unprecedented decision.
"The management of PahangGo has been asked to offer online services to assist them.
"We will also launch an online market platform, known as 'PahangMart', which will display a list of Pahang-based markets and their merchandise.
"Also featured will be a list of Ramadan bazaar stalls, so users can view the snapshots of the meals provided and make bookings," he said, adding that PahangGo would provide a platform for runner services.
Wan Rosdy said those interested to be runners could contact PahangGo on its social media sites to get more information.
"Through this initiative, we hope to help not only the people buying food from Ramadan bazaars and other essentials, but also to assist small traders and hawkers to survive these difficult times due to the pandemic," he said.
Did you find this article insightful?
91% readers found this article insightful