Former 1MDB CEO denies deal with late Sri Ram to testify in favour of company


KUALA LUMPUR: Former 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB) chief executive officer (CEO) Datuk Shahrol Azral Ibrahim Halmi has denied claims that he had struck a deal with the late Datuk Seri Gopal Sri Ram to testify in favour of the company.

The 56-year-old, testifying as the fourth plaintiff witness in 1MDB’s US$5.64bil (RM22.91bil) civil suit on Wednesday (Aug 19), said Sri Ram, who was then the lead prosecutor in 1MDB’s criminal trial, did not offer him any incentive to give evidence in favour of the company in exchange for having his name removed from the suit.

He said this during cross-examination by counsel Tan Sri Muhammad Shafee Abdullah, who represents former prime minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak, the first defendant in the suit.

Muhammad Shafee: Did Sri Ram interview you?

Shahrol Azral: Yes.

Muhammad Shafee: Did you have lunch together?

Shahrol Azral: Yes, once.

Muhammad Shafee: Did you make any deal with Sri Ram?

Shahrol Azral: No.

Shahrol Azral said he did not ask Sri Ram why he had to give evidence in favour of 1MDB while the company was suing him, reiterating that he had no idea why 1MDB dropped him from the suit.

The witness also disagreed with a suggestion that he was comfortable testifying in the criminal trial because of an undertaking by the prosecution and that he expected to be protected from further legal action.

He added that he had never sought immunity under Section 132 of the Evidence Act 1950 before giving evidence, and rejected the contention that he had testified with the expectation that his evidence would shield him from future legal action.

1MDB and its subsidiaries – 1MDB Energy Holdings Limited, 1MDB Energy Limited, 1MDB Energy (Langat) Limited and Global Diversified Investment Company Limited, formerly known as 1MDB Global Investments Limited – filed the suit on May 7, 2021.

They named Najib, 1MDB’s former finance director Terrence Geh Choh Heng, former executive director Casey Tang Keng Chee, former general counsel Jasmine Loo Ai Swan, Vincent Beng, former chief financial officer Radhi Mohamad, former investment director Kelvin Tan Kay Jin and former chief investment officer Nik Faisal Ariff Kamil, as defendants.

Last week, 1MDB dropped its suit against Radhi, with no liberty to refile. The company had previously removed Jasmine from the case as well.

The writ of summons stated that the plaintiffs, among other things, accused the defendants of breach of trust, breach of statutory duty, abuse of power and conspiracy to misappropriate 1MDB funds.

The trial before Judicial Commissioner Mohamad Redzuan Idrus continues on Aug 20. – Bernama

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Govt has final say on SC oversight of Tabung Haji, says chairman
Immigration lorry hit by car just before fatal crash, say cops
Suing ex-MACC chief, AG not an act of revenge, says Shahrir
Bersama’s Ayer Keroh candidate draws on multicultural roots to reach voters
Immigration lorry crash: Family calls for answers, transparent probe
Mara reviewing student outing rules after missing girls incident
2026 SPMU results available from Aug 20
Seven areas in Sarawak record unhealthy API readings at 4pm
Mother of drug-positive baby not an addict, say Kelantan cops
Cops hunting four suspects following cable theft attempt in JB

Others Also Read