S'wak bans Italian and Iranian travellers, after China and South Korea


  • Nation
  • Wednesday, 04 Mar 2020

KUCHING: After China and South Korea, the Sarawak government is now banning foreign travellers coming in from Italy and Iran to prevent the spread of Covid-19.

The state disaster management committee said all foreigners who visited China, South Korea, Italy and Iran in the past 14 days would be refused entry.

It also said Malaysians who had been to these countries in the last 14 days were "strongly advised" not to visit Sarawak.

Sarawakians, Sarawakian permanent residents, work and student pass holders who visited these countries must undergo compulsory home quarantine for 14 days.

"They will be subjected to random monitoring by the medical authorities," the committee said in a statement on Wednesday (Mar 4).

South Korea has reported over 5,000 Covid-19 cases, while Italy and Iran have more than 2,000 cases each.

The committee also said visitors from other countries affected by Covid-19, including Singapore, Indonesia and Japan, must adhere to precautionary guidelines issued by the state Health Department at all entry points into Sarawak.

"The above actions are taken as part of the state government's efforts and measures to mitigate the spread of Covid-19 in Sarawak," it said.

So far, no known Covid-19 infection has been detected in the state.

From Jan 10 to Mar 3, the state has recorded a total of 158 cases of persons under investigation.

Of the total, 136 have tested negative, while 22 more are awaiting laboratory test results.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Subscribe now to our Premium Plan for an ad-free and unlimited reading experience!

Covid-19 , Sarawak , Ban , Visitors , Italy , Iran , Outbreak

   

Next In Nation

Selangor Ruler expresses disappointment over outrageous comments on social media
Hotels not required to put up 'Non-Halal Lift' stickers, says Jakim
Job scams: 15 more victims brought home from Cambodia, Laos, six more arriving later
GE15: All component party machinery to move in Perikatan name, says Muhyiddin
MACC nabs 11, including four cops, over traffic summons discount syndicate
Over 470,000 undergrads applied for second phase of student device programme, says Noraini
Egg shortage to be discussed at Cabinet meeting Friday (Oct 7), says Annuar
Action already taken against suspects linked to abuse of Indonesian domestic worker, say cops
RM41mil allocated to build river wall along Sungai Tebrau to stop flash floods
Employers now have 10 hours to receive foreign workers, says Immigration DG

Others Also Read