Jalan Alor Chap Goh Mei festival cancelled due to coronavirus fears, says organiser


  • Nation
  • Saturday, 08 Feb 2020

PETALING JAYA: The Jalan Alor Chap Goh Mei festival slated for Saturday (Feb 8) night has been cancelled due to concerns of the coronavirus outbreak.

The Hawkers and Dealers Association of Jalan Alor called off the festival after a local daily reported on Friday (Jan 7) that a China tourist staying at a condominium near Jalan Alor tested positive for the novel coronavirus.

The Chap Goh Mei festival was originally scheduled to start at 7.30pm in front of City Tower, Jalan Alor.

Association secretary Simon Ang (pic), when contacted, said that while they were unsure whether the news report from the local daily was true or otherwise, they decided not to take any risks.

"We care for everyone's safety. Whether the news is true or not, we decided not to go on with the event based on the development of the coronavirus issue," he said.

Earlier in a cancellation note distributed to the media, the association said that while preparations had been done for the event, the wellbeing of the people were of utmost importance.

"With news that a case has been discovered at a nearby property, we have strong reason to believe that proceeding with the event may pose potential health risk for all our esteemed guests," it said.

Federal Territories Minister Khalid Abdul Samad and Bukit Bintang MP Fong Kui Lun were supposed to be special guests at the now cancelled event, which also planned to raise funds for Ops Harapan.

Ops Harapan is a Malaysian relief group collecting donations to aid the Chinese city of Wuhan, the epicentre of the coronavirus outbreak.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

100% readers found this article insightful

Across the site