KUALA LUMPUR (Bernama): One more novel coronavirus case was confirmed Thursday (Jan 30), bringing the total number of infections in Malaysia to eight.
Health director-general Datuk Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah said all eight cases comprise Chinese nationals.
The eighth case is a 49-year-old woman who has been admitted to an isolation ward in Hospital Permai, Johor Baru, and is reported to be in stable condition, Dr Noor Hisham said in a statement Thursday.
Meanwhile, Dr Noor Hisham said laboratory test results for five suspected cases were pending.
He added that as part of measures to detect suspected cases, the Health Ministry, in cooperation with the Education Ministry, had identified students and lecturers who had returned to Malaysia after visiting China.
"Those who have been identified, will be placed under home surveillance and will each be issued a Health Warning Card and Home Assessment Tool. If they exhibit symptoms, they will be referred to designated health facilities immediately," Dr Noor Hisham said.
The Health Ministry, he added, was also working closely with several other ministries to bring home Malaysians working in Wuhan, China.
On Wednesday (Jan 29), Bernama reported that Malaysian Ambassador to China Raja Datuk Nushirwan Zainal Abidin had confirmed that the 82 Malaysians identified so far in Wuhan and surrounding areas were not infected.
At a press conference Wednesday, Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad said Malaysia was ready to bring home its citizens in Wuhan, if it was permitted by the Chinese government to do so.
Dr Mahathir said Malaysia, through its Foreign Affairs Ministry, would undertake discussions on the matter with the Chinese government, as soon as possible. - Bernama