Reports by IMRAN HILMY, RAHIMY RAHIM, SIRA HABIBU, DIYANA PFORDTEN and ILI AQILAH
IPOH: Officers from the Perak Department of Environment (DoE) have begun carrying out regular patrols in certain areas following the activation of the National Open Burning Action Plan.
“There have been reports saying that the northern side of the state has not been getting any rainfall for the last seven days. We have officers stationed there to assist should there be any bushfire or open burning.
“But as for now, everything is still under control in Perak, ” its director Rosli Zul said, adding that there had been no reports of serious cases.
The department, said Rosli, had a web portal for the public to lodge complaints of open burning
“Our officers are always on high alert and will investigate each report, ” he said.
State Fire and Rescue Department director Aziz Osman said there had been about 80 open burning cases since Jan 1.
“Between Jan 1 and 10, the highest number of reports we received are in Ipoh and Sungai Siput, with 10 cases each. We believe that these incidents were caused by irresponsible individuals.
“Our advice to the public right now, considering the current weather condition, is not to do any open burning, leave fire pits unattended or throw their cigarette butts carelessly as this may spark a fire.
“We would also like to advise companies and local councils to monitor their landfills and quickly put out any fire, ” he said.
State Environment Committee chairman Dr Abdul Aziz Bari said Perak DOE had been constantly updating him on open burning cases.
“The last update I received was on Jan 10 when I was told by the department that everything was still under control. We believe members of the public are already aware of the issue and the danger it brings.
“However, we are hoping that district offices, head villagers and local councils will work together with the DOE to further educate the public, ” he added.
Did you find this article insightful?