SHAH ALAM: There was no woman in the car when three suspected robbers were killed in a shootout with the police in Batu Arang on Saturday, says Comm Datuk Noor Azam Jamaludin.
The Selangor police chief has vehemently denied that Moganambal Govindasamy was in the car during the incident.
"We have received a missing person report on Moganambal and we are investigating further.
"In fact, we need her cooperation to assist with the shootout investigation," he told a press conference on Wednesday (Sept 18).
Suhakam Commissioner Jerald Joseph had said they would try to ascertain if police had followed standard operating procedure when discharging their firearms.
"We will also investigate an allegation by a family member that a police sergeant had told the family that Moganambal was in their custody," he said.
Lawyer R. Sivahnanthan, who was representing Moganambal's family, said the family claimed they were told by a policeman that police had actually shot a fourth person in the leg.
However, the person's whereabouts is unknown.
Comm Noor Azam said the police had nothing to hide and welcomed scrutiny by any other body such as Suhakam (Human Rights Commission of Malaysia).
"We are transparent and if anyone is not satisfied with our actions, they are welcomed to look into it through various avenues. We will cooperate," he said.
On Saturday's shootout, Comm Noor Azam said two of the suspects killed – Thavaselvan Govindasamy, 31, and S. Mahendran, 23 – were Gang 08 members.
"Thavaselvan had a criminal record, including being held under the Prevention of Crime Act (Poca) in 2014 and on the wanted list for a gang robbery in Kuala Selangor.
"Mahendran, too, had a criminal record with an incident in Sentul," he added.
However, a mystery revolves around the third suspect killed – Sri Lankan Vijaratnam Janarthanan, 40, and Moganambal's husband – he added.
"We discovered that he had overstayed and taken part in the Immigration's legalisation programme, which required him to return to his home country in 2013. But since then, there has been no record of him entering Malaysia.
"Furthermore, he was also wanted for a robbery at a construction site in Sentul in 2016.
"We managed to track down his wife's record in entering Malaysia on Aug 28 but not his," Comm Noor Azam said.
The trio is believed to have been responsible for about 15 house break-in cases in Selangor, he added.
"Since early this year, we have recorded 72 house break-in cases in the state involving masked robbers, resulting in close to RM3.4mil in losses.
"Their modus operandi is to break into houses in the wee hours and assault their victims. They will also steal the victims' vehicles before leaving the scene," he said, adding that 12 victims, including four women, had been assaulted so far.
It was reported that a gang of three robbers was killed on Saturday after a 7km high-speed car chase and shoot-out with the police in Batu Arang.
Two pistols, a machete, three ski masks and gloves were among the items seized from the suspects, the police had said.
Did you find this article insightful?