Muhyiddin calls for a stop to speculation over disappearance of Irish teen


  • Nation
  • Tuesday, 06 Aug 2019

MUAR (Bernama): Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin has called for a stop to all speculation over the disappearance of an Irish teenager in Negri Sembilan last Sunday (Aug 4).

The Home Minister said it was wrong to assume that Nora Anne Quoirin, a 15-year-old special child, was abducted from a resort near Seremban because the police know better.

"I was informed by the Deputy Inspector-General of Police (Datuk Mazlan Mansor) that it is a ‘missing person’ case and they do not think anyone else is involved, ” he told reporters after closing the rhythmic gymnastics championships of the Malaysian Schools Sports Council at the Pagoh Higher Education Hub at Bandar Universiti Pagoh here Tuesday (Aug 6).

"Don’t try to be too clever. Use the official statement issued by the Royal Malaysia Police, more so when the incident involves a foreign national.

"What other people say is not important because the police know better. Everyone who comes to our country is safe and does not face problems, ” he said.

Muhyiddin said assuming that Nora Anne was abducted can cause misunderstanding and jeopardise police investigation.

The minister said that the search and rescue operation, which entered its third day Tuesday, is ongoing with the involvement of over 150 personnel from the police, Fire and Rescue Department, Civil Defence Force and People’s Volunteer Corps (Rela) as well as local residents.

It was reported that the family realised that Nora Anne was missing from her room at the resort at about 8am Sunday. The family also said that she had learning difficulties.

Her disappearance was reported by international media. Negri Sembilan Police chief Datuk Mohamad Mat Yusop denied on Monday (Aug 5) that she had been abducted as reported by international media.

He said there was no trace of crime having been committed at the location and the incident is still a "missing person" case.

On another matter, Muhyiddin, who is Pagoh MP, said there has to be consultation by various parties so that everyone is satisfied with the proposed introduction of the Jawi script and the khat (calligraphy) art form in the Year Four Bahasa Melayu subject in vernacular schools next year.

"Ideally, there should be consultation and input from not only associations or organisations, but also parents and others. Most importantly, it is not burdensome.

"The question of whether it is to be made a compulsory or optional subject is up to the Education Ministry. Surely it has studied the matter, ” said Muhyiddin, who was a former education minister. - Bernama

Related stories:

Public warned against sharing fake news on missing Irish teen

Massive search for vanished teen

Search intensifies for missing Irish teen, foul play ruled out, say cops

GOF platoon roped in to search for missing Irish girl

Missing Irish girl's family pleads for assistance

Family looking for British teen who went missing while holidaying in Malaysia (updated)


   

Across The Star Online