Johor PKR chief: Sultan has no power to change exco line-up


  • Nation
  • Sunday, 14 Apr 2019

JOHOR BARU: Candidates picked as state executive councillors or their portfolios are within the purview of the respective Pakatan Harapan component parties and not the state ruler, says Johor PKR chief Hassan Abdul Karim.

The usual process, he said, was for the mentri besar to be appointed first.

“The names for the executive councillors are submitted by the Pakatan component parties after a state Pakatan leadership meeting.

“Even the portfolios are decided by us, after which we will provide the list to the palace,” he said, adding that the Ruler would then appoint the candidates after consultation with the mentri besar.

Hassan said the ruler could not drop an exco member or change the portfolio as it would be seen as unconstitutional and an interference from the palace.

“This is a serious matter,” he said when asked to comment on Datuk Osman Sapian’s remark yesterday that Johor Ruler Sultan Ibrahim Ibni Almarhum Sultan Iskandar wanted a change to the exco line-up.

Osman, who quit as mentri besar, claimed that the change was among the conditions set by the Johor Ruler during their meeting yesterday morning.

Hassan, who is also Pasir Gudang MP, said that PKR no longer recognised Osman as the state Pakatan leader and that they would leave it to Parti Pribumi Bersatu Malaysia president Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin to submit the list for the MB’s position.

“We have already met him in Kuala Lumpur and talked about this matter

involving the MB. Nobody talked about changing the executive councillors or their portfolios,” he said, adding that all the state leaders from PKR, DAP, Bersatu and Amanah were present.

He stressed on the need for a peaceful transition of power.

Asked if he had been invited for the new mentri besar’s swearing-in ceremony at Istana Bukit Serene today, he said he had yet to receive the invitation.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Next In Nation

Covid-19: 20 more Top Glove workers taken for treatment
King expresses condolences over Maradona's death
Sabah wants more info over claims of improper medical waste disposal before taking action
Dr M chides Opposition MPs for 'supporting' Perikatan govt over Budget 2021
Anwar: We are not done with Budget 2021 yet
Fruit stall worker in Penang Hospital tests positive for Covid-19
BUDGET VOTE: The fine line between political reality and political maturity
Tok Mat: Ensure no wastage or misplaced priorities in Budget 2021 implementation
Body of man who fell from Sg Batu Pahat bridge found
Student scammed RM10k by 'US collector' trying to purchase out-of-circulation M'sian currency

Stories You'll Enjoy