Dad: Adib was in a bad shape

  • Nation
  • Friday, 22 Mar 2019

Dad at inquest: Mohd Kassim arriving at Shah Alam Sessions Court.

SHAH ALAM: The father of Muhammad Adib Mohd Kassim told the inquest into the 24-year-old fireman's death that there were multiple bruises and swelling on his son's body, which he noticed when he was taking care of him.

Mohd Kassim Abdul Hamid, who is the 23rd witness for the inquest, said that when he first saw Muhammad Adib on Nov 27 last year at the Subang Jaya Medical Centre (SJMC), his son was in a bad shape.

Muhammad Adib was critically injured in the early morning of Nov 27 after he and his team members from the Subang Jaya fire station responded to an emergency call at the Seafield Sri Maha Mariamman Temple where a riot was taking place.

"He was unconscious and his body had swelling and bruises; it was bad. He was in a critical condition," Mohd Kassim told the coroner's court yesterday.

Mohd Kassim said that he noticed more injuries on his son after he was transferred to the intensive care unit (ICU) of the National Heart Institute (IJN).

Under questioning by lawyer Syazlin Mansor, who is representing the Housing and Local Government Ministry, on what he noticed on Muhammad Adib's body while he was caring for him, Mohd Kassim explained further.

"There were lots of injuries on his body; the most prominent being the swelling on the right side of his body from his chest to the ribs.

"When I touched his head there was swelling at the back of his head and he had a wound behind his earlobe," he said, adding that there were also scratches on Muhammad Adib's fingers and bruises on his thighs.

Mohd Kassim, who was calm and collected throughout the whole session, also told the coroner's court of his son's days in the ICU, adding that his son was fully conscious and lucid for about five days.

He revealed this under questioning from DPP Hamdan Hamzah from the Attorney General's Chambers.

Mohd Kassim said it was during this period where Muhammad Adib was able to communicate and was conscious of his surroundings that Subang Jaya Fire Station chief Syed Shahril Anuar Syed Sulaiman paid a visit.

Syed Shahril, the 18th witness for the inquest, had told the coroner's court that Muhammad Adib had indicated to him that he was pulled out from the Fire and Rescue Department's Emergency Medical Rescue Services (EMRS) van during the riot.

Mohd Kassim recalled that Muhammad Adib was a good son who helped the family financially and would always give a hand at the paddy fields when he was home on leave.

"We really feel the loss. In terms of happiness for the whole family, in terms of the help he has always provide, we feel the loss," he said.

Mohd Kassim added that his family wanted justice, and he hoped that the inquest could shed light on who were responsible for his death.

"I hope the authorities will take action on those who caused his death.

"I understand that my child died due to a riot; and I hope action is taken on those who planned the riot and took part in the riot.

"I want justice for my son," he said.

Judge Rofiah Mohamad sits as coroner for the inquest.

The inquest, held at the Shah Alam Sessions Court, was on its 15th day yesterday and will continue today.

Muhammad Adib was taken to SJMC after he was found injured, before being transferred to the National Heart Institute (IJN) for further treatment. He died at IJN on Dec 17 at 9.41pm.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Subscribe now to our Premium Plan for an ad-free and unlimited reading experience!

Next In Nation

Malaysia to be at the forefront of Islamic finance arbitration, says Sultan Nazrin
Personal data: A potential gold mine for hackers, say experts
Let the economy recover first before calling polls, says Azmin
King briefed by Finance Minister on Economic Survey
150 nurses expected to participate in northern nursing conference
A-G's report 2021 tabled in Parliament on Oct 6
Flash floods: Number of victims in Johor increases to 29
King to visit National Flood Forecasting and Warning Centre
Travellers will now have to fill in customs forms upon arrival or departure
KTC graduates making a name for themselves in the O&G industry

Others Also Read