KUALA LUMPUR: Construction workers for the underground portion of the Klang Valley Mass Rapid Transit (MRT2) project that connects Sungai Buloh-Serdang-Putrajaya are worried about their future.
Muadh Mohd Nazlee, an engineer for the project said that so far MRT Corporation has not issued any official stop-work order.
"We do not know if we will continue. What we do know is that we have to be ready to face any difficulties and to look for jobs elsewhere," he told Bernama.
On Sunday (Oct 7), Finance Minister Lim Guan Eng said the Cabinet had decided to terminate the MMC-Gamuda contract to build the underground portion of the MRT2 project, adding that all unfinished underground work will be re-tendered via an open tender process.
Lim had said that this was part of the government's cost-saving efforts, which could possibly shave off RM5.22bil or 23% of the MRT2 construction cost.
However, MMC-Gamuda said almost 20,000 employees from a supply chain of more than 600 Malaysian companies would lose their jobs following the cancellation of the project.
It added that this would include more than 3,000 employees of the MMC-Gamuda joint venture, where over 60% are bumiputra.
Muadh said he was caught off-guard by the decision and hoped that the government will reconsider its decision.
"It was sudden, too quick. The announcement was made on Sunday and now we are left in the lurch," he said.
According to Muadh, full-time employees are not the only ones affected.
Those under the Tunnelling Training Academy (TTA), established by MMC-Gamuda to train local talents to carry out highly skilled construction work, are also affected.
"It is clear that everyone is worried about their future. These are hardworking people and TTA employees are locals.
"Imagine if we are not the main contractor, will all their previous hard work be wasted?" he asked. – Bernama