Mahdzir Khalid denies reports he threatened teachers who support Opposition


PETALING JAYA: Education Minister Datuk Seri Mahdzir Khalid has refuted a news report that he warned teachers who support the Opposition in the coming general election to quit the profession.

He said the news report was illogical and probably misinterpreted by the said reporter.

“Voting is secret, so how can I warn anyone who wants to vote for the Opposition?” he said when contacted.

He was asked to comment on the newspaper report, which was picked up by news portals, claiming that he has asked teachers and Education Ministry officials who hold office in Opposition parties to quit their jobs.

Mahdzir, however, clarified that he had told a gathering of teachers at Putrajaya last week that civil servants, especially headmasters, should be mindful of their positions.

“I only reminded them of their positions and that they must ‘fine tune’ and put a ‘buffer zone’ between their career and political ideology. They cannot be going on the same stage with Opposition leaders since they are civil servants who are meant to carry out government policies. I have never made any threats or asked them to quit if they support the Opposition,” he said.

He added that it was a fact that some teachers, including principals, hold positions in Opposition parties, including PKR and PAS.

“I believe parents would want these teachers to focus on teaching their children.

“They should not turn the classrooms, school assemblies or teachers’ rooms into ceramah sessions.”

Mahdzir said he had given the same directive to teachers who support the Barisan Nasional.

“I am consistent in my message – remember your role as teachers,” he said.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 46
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights
   

Next In Nation

Ongkili: Any new deal for Sabah, Sarawak must use MA63 as foundational reference point
Dr Wee: More public transport expected to operate in October
Three localities in Pahang, one in Sabah under EMCO from Monday (Sept 19)
PLUS: 11 more highway R&R, lay-bys reopen for dine-in
Bereaved woman loses almost RM400,000 after falling for love scam
Govt to continue giving out haj subsidy, says Minister
Johor Ruler urges govt to reconsider appealing High Court's decision on children born to Malaysian parents abroad
Yes to strengthening relations, no to nuclear submarines, PM tells Australia
Sabah’s Covid-19 daily cases drops to 1,395 on Sept 18, says Masidi
Centre Point Sabah unable to construct Sky Bridge opening this year

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers