Myvi Club lodges police report, claims members harassed after DUKE crash


  • Nation
  • Saturday, 16 May 2015

The accident along the DUKE highway on May 5 that left three dead.

KUALA LUMPUR: The Familia Myvi Club (FMC) has lodged a police report, claiming that its members have been harassed following an accident on the DUKE highway that left a couple and their infant child dead.

It had been alleged that members of the club had been racing on the highway and had caused the fatal accident on May 5 that killed Fairuz Nizam Husain, 35, his wife Nova Safitri Azhari, 27, and their seven-month-old daughter Nur Firuza Annisa.

Club secretary Azrul Hanif Mohamad said that its members had received threats following the incident.

“Until now our members have received threats on social media and even calls from people. Some were even confronted and were verbally abused with vulgar language,” he said.

Azrul also cited an incident where the car that belonged to a member of FMC was damaged as there was a sticker of the club pasted on the car that identified the owner as a member of the club.

He added that the club had urged all its members to remove the stickers for their own safety.

Azrul said that Myvi users who were not members of the club were also affected by the incident.

“Our members are traumatised and afraid,” he told reporters after lodging the report at the Dang Wangi district police headquarters on Saturday.

Azrul also expressed his regret over the accident but clarified that the club did not organise any illegal racing.

The tragic accident along the Duta-Ulu Kelang Expressway (DUKE) claimed the lives of the couple and their seven-month-old daughter after their Pajero crashed.

The tragedy occurred after Fairuz Nizam had sent his two others daughters – Nur Firuza Amira, seven, and Nur Firuza Aqila, four – to their grandmother’s house in Putrajaya.

Police recorded statements from six Myvi drivers who were allegedly racing on the highway prior to the crash, five road users who claimed they had witnessed the incident as well as a representative from Familia Myvi Club.

On May 8, two Myvi drivers that were involved in the collision pleaded not guilty to causing death by reckless driving under Section 41(1) of the Road Transport Act 1987 at a magistrate’s court in Kuala Lumpur.

Both were ordered to surrender their passports to the court until the disposal of the case. Their driver’s licences were also suspended.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights
   

Next In Nation

Health DG calls for special task force to look into issues affecting contract doctors
Covid-19: About 40% of frontliners in Port Klang fully vaccinated
Several Opposition lawmakers push for Ivermectin to treat Covid-19, but Bandar Kuching MP urges evidence-based approach
Covid-19: Three clusters linked to interstate travel
Health Minister to revisit Klang hospital following allegations of dire conditions
Manhunt on for Covid-19 patient who fled while being taken to quarantine centre in Likas
Covid-19: Number of deaths equals previous high of 207
Cops issue compound notice to Tajuddin for not wearing face mask at Parliament
Police nab 465 people for various SOP violations
Twenty-seven localities in Sabah among others to be placed under EMCO

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers