PUTRAJAYA: The Health Ministry has quashed claims made by certain parties over the 1Care for 1Malaysia healthcare transformation plan.
During a media briefing Thursday, it was also highlighted that facts had been "twisted" by certain members who were sitting on some of the 11 technical working groups in charge of drawing up the "design" for 1Care that will eventually become a blueprint to be presented to the Cabinet for approval.
It was also emphasised that nothing, including implementation, has been finalised yet.
Health Ministry deputy director for the National Health Financing unit Dr Rozita Halina Tun Hussein said the 10% figure that was claimed to be what Malaysians would have to pay to finance the plan, was actually the ballpark figure of the current average healthcare spending by Malaysians every year.
"We are currently in the planning stage," said Dr Rozita at the briefing.
She also denied that the number of visits to healthcare faciltiies would be capped at six, adding that this figure was in fact the average number of times Malaysians currently visited such a facility.
"We have never said anything about rationing visits to six per year," she clarified.
Purported details of the plan had recently surfaced on the Internet, including a Facebook page by a group calling themselves "Citizens' Healthcare Coalition" that said when the system was implemented, Malaysians would have to pay 10% of their salary while the number of annual visits was capped at six.
The Health Ministry has also promised that the proposed healthcare transformation under the 1Care for 1Malaysia plan will be "better than the current system".
Health director-general Datuk Seri Dr Hasan Abdul Rahman said the new system will allow the public to choose whether to go to a government-run facility or private-run facility without having to worry about costs that will be incurred.
Related Stories: 1Care proposal ready in 2 years Scrap 1Care plan, urge groups Health D-G: 1Care won't burden public Call for more info on 1Care plan