Probe underway into deaths of elderly couple after eating pufferfish, says exco member

  • Nation
  • Saturday, 08 Apr 2023

JOHOR BARU: Investigations into the deaths of a couple after consuming pufferfish are underway, says Johor Health and Unity Committee Chairman Ling Tian Soon.

He said that the Johor Health Department had taken action as soon as the case was reported.

ALSO READ: Dead couple's family urges action over pufferfish poisoning

"The department has carried out an investigation on the ground to identify the supplier, wholesaler and seller of the pufferfish or 'ikan buntal'.

"The state district health office has also opened an investigation paper under the Food Act 1983," he said in a statement here on Saturday (April 8) night.

He said that the state Health Department will also be conducting discussions with the Fisheries Department and several local universities with expertise on fisheries and toxins or poisons to find a holistic solution on the issue.

ALSO READ: Pufferfish poisoning: Man dies after a week in a coma

"Information on pufferfish has also been posted to the Health Ministry's Food Safety and Quality Facebook page on March 29 and 31 as well as April 1.

"We urge the public to be careful when choosing their food, especially if it has known risks.

"We would also like to express our condolences to the family members of the victims," he said.

ALSO READ: Sale of pufferfish with dangerous toxins prohibited, says Health DG

It was earlier reported that an 84-year-old man who was previously in an intensive care unit after eating pufferfish on March 25 had passed away on Saturday (April 8) morning.

Ling said that the man, Chuan Sing @ Eng Kuai Sin, was not responsive since around 5.20am when checked by a nurse.

"Emergency treatment was given immediately by medical officers for about 30 minutes before he was declared dead.

"The body of the victim was then handed over to the forensic unit before being given to the next of kin on the same day," he said.

ALSO READ: For some Malaysians, the forbidden fugu is a delicacy

His death came just two weeks after his 83-year-old wife, Lim Siew Guan, passed away on March 25.

It was reported the couple had purchased the fish unknowingly from a fishmonger on March 25.

Lim then fried the fish for lunch on the same day and began experiencing breathing difficulties and shivers while her husband started showing similar symptoms about an hour later.

Subscribe now to our Premium Plan for an ad-free and unlimited reading experience!

Next In Nation

Parliament has big role in strengthening Malaysian diplomatic ties, says Speaker
MSMEs to get more focus in Budget 2024, says Deptuy Finance Minister II
Technological change in the nation must bring benefit to all, says PM
Melaka cops release photo of dead woman to help ID her
Johor JPJ cracks down on food delivery riders without licence, road tax
80-year-old fruit seller stabbed to death in OUG
Johari visits agriculture companies on final day of official visit to China
Pelangai by-electon: Cops open investigation paper
Sanusi rejects nominations to contest PAS veep post
Ampang/Sri Petaling LRT line to resume operations February, says Rapid Rail

Others Also Read