Pufferfish poisoning: Man dies after a week in a coma

KLUANG: The 84-year-old man who was in a coma after consuming some pufferfish has passed away.

It was learnt that the man passed away on Saturday (April 8) after being hospitalised for almost a week.

The man had been sent to the intensive care unit (ICU) while his wife passed away on March 25.

ALSO READ: Woman dies after eating pufferfish, hubby warded in ICU

His wife's death was identified as food poisoning with neurological manifestations resulting in respiratory failure and irregular heart rate, possibly due to toxin ingestion.

ALSO READ: Sale of pufferfish with dangerous toxins prohibited, says Health DG

She also was laid to rest at the Chamek Chinese cemetery on March 29.

The couple was said to have purchased the fish unknowingly from a fishmonger on March 25 before preparing it for lunch.

ALSO READ: Couple unaware of toxins

Subscribe now to our Premium Plan for an ad-free and unlimited reading experience!

PufferFish , Toxins , Death , Poisoning


Next In Nation

Warisan welcomes KKIA staying put in KK
Isham sacked from Umno supreme council for 'crossing the line', says Khaled Nordin
Integrity and anti-corruption course compulsory for students in higher learning institutions
myStarJob Fair good platform for career opportunities, say attendees
Socso data breach: Govt to tighten country's cyber security, says Anwar
Spread fake news about Zayn and risk jail time, warn cops
Cops identify woman encased in cement as an Indian national
Beaufort solar plant will help stabilise Sabah's power grid, says SESB
Malaysia opposes US action to veto UN resolution demanding ceasefire in Palestine, says Anwar
Man, 21, killed in car crash at Kota Iskandar Highway

Others Also Read