‘Glutton street’ traders defend opening fence for access


Jalan Kepong Baru vendors have created gate-like openings so customers can access their stalls easily.

VENDORS along a stretch of Jalan Kepong Baru known as “wai sek kai” (glutton street) are urging Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL) to provide access along the newly installed fence that has adversely affected their business.

Speaking at a press conference, Kepong MP Lim Lip Eng’s assistant Dic Lai said while DBKL had initially planned fence openings, nothing had been done so far.

He pointed out that the installation of the fence, part of a road upgrading project, started last year and was completed just about a week ago.

“Openings along the 200m long fence were part of the plan but it has not been implemented yet.

ALSO READ: Fence along ‘glutton street’ in Kepong keeping out customers, stakeholders say

“We have written to DBKL urging prompt action to address concerns raised by vendors and residents,” he said.

A vendor Yew Pui Khim said some people had created gate-like openings along the fence.

He said he had been operating in the area for over two decades, and the action was not meant to damage the fence but to preserve their livelihood.

“Our business had declined by over 50% since the fence was installed, as customers find it inconvenient to reach the stalls.

“To address this, we opened the fence ourselves by unlocking the screws during our morning operation hours and securing them back later.

StarMetro’s report on April 17.StarMetro’s report on April 17.

“While we appreciate that the fence was put up to reduce traffic congestion caused by motorists stopping on the roadside, we urge DBKL to promptly implement its original plan for fence openings,” he said.

Mixed-rice seller Lee Chin Siong said the vendors collectively decided to hire two guards during weekends and holidays from 9am to 5pm for traffic management and to prevent illegal parking on the roadside.

“This was a collective decision by the nine stalls here, with each sharing the RM120 daily wage of each guard.

“We want to demonstrate our support for DBKL’s efforts in addressing the traffic issue and hope for reciprocal support from the local authority,” he said.

Fruit trader Lew Kok Wen said DBKL should also consider adding more parking spaces at the location.

“While DBKL said there was parking across the street and behind the stalls, most spots behind the stalls are already taken up by residents of Jalan Antoi 1.

“Parking bays across the road are also limited, and it is unsafe for those parked there to cross the street without a pedestrian crossing,” he pointed out.

He said two accidents happened three months ago on Jalan Kepong Baru, where speeding cars nearly crashed into his stall.

Separately, DBKL said it was considering creating an emergency access in the newly installed fence.

In a statement to StarMetro, DBKL said this was based on feedback from the Taman Antoi Residents Association and the Kepong parliamentary office.

“The 200m-long galvanised fence was installed on April 6 following complaints from the Kepong parliamentary office about traffic congestion.

“It was to prevent roadside parking, minimise traffic disruption and mitigate risks on Jalan Kepong Baru.

“Drivers are encouraged to park their vehicles in the parking bays available across the street and behind the food stalls,” said the statement by DBKL Corporate Planning Department.

City Hall was responding to StarMetro’s report, “Fence along ‘glutton street’ in Kepong keeping out customers, stakeholders say,” on April 17.

Community activist Yee Poh Ping had also said the parking shortage had resulted in cars occupying limited spaces for residents along Jalan Antoi 1.

DBKL, in the same statement, also responded to the telecommunication tower issue in the Jalan Antoi residential area.

Yee had urged DBKL’s Engineering Department to take strict action against the companies involved as wires were left exposed to the elements, which could endanger pedestrians.

DBKL stated that the integrated telecommunications transmitter pole on Jalan Antoi 1’s pedestrian walkway was approved and built in 2016, while the walkway’s construction took place between 2020 and 2021.

“DBKL has coordinated with the network facility provider company to reroute structures behind the pedestrian walkway.

“Pedestrian walkway repairs will be made after the rerouting process is completed,” it said.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

DBKL , Kepong , fencing issue , glutton street

   

Next In Metro News

Taman Yarl resident worries trees may fall on his house
RM500,000 in the offing for councillors
Steam and style on the go
High-risk trees to be felled in Klang
Ministry looking into request to upgrade Sibu hospital
4,000 throng PJ temple for Wesak Day celebration
Growing new gen of eco-champs
Old building in Klang gets new life
MBPG to identify viable ‘Yok Tinjau’ proposals by August
Commuters pleased with upgraded bus terminal

Others Also Read