Fence along ‘glutton street’ in Kepong keeping out customers, stakeholders say


New fencing along Jalan Kepong Baru reduces customers’ access to the businesses, traders claim. — Photos: YAP CHEE HONG/The Star

THE newly installed fence along a stretch of Jalan Kepong Baru known as “wai sek kai” (glutton street) in Kuala Lumpur has caused more problems than solutions for traders.

Community activist Yee Poh Ping said the fence was part of a road upgrading project by Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL).

He said the more than 40 vendors had been trading there for over 30 years, but the recent move to put up a fence and remove parking bays had adversely affected their business.

“The new fencing prevents people from directly accessing the stalls from the road,” said Yee.

Lee Chin Siong, 36, a vendor at the location for six years, said the new fence installed last Saturday had resulted in a 70% drop in his business.

The mixed rice seller said the 200m-long fence had made it inconvenient for pedestrians and motorists.

“It becomes very troublesome for customers to get to our stalls, and many are now forced to park along the busy road.

“Although there are parking bays opposite the stalls, it is still dangerous for people to cross four lanes to get to our stalls,” he said.

A visit to the site revealed that parts of the fence had been tampered with to allow openings, like gates.

Yee showing exposed wires which could endanger passers-by at the residential area.
Yee showing exposed wires which could endanger passers-by at the residential area.

Chin Siong suggested that DBKL open portions of the fences to allow access.

Yee said lack of parking also forced cars to take up limited parking spaces from residents along Jalan Antoi 1.

On a separate matter, Yee said he had raised the matter of the increasing number of telecommunication towers in the Jalan Antoi residential area.

“Currently, there are four monopoles with various transmitters along Jalan Lingkungan Jambu Gajus, Jalan Kepong Baru and Jalan Helang Belalang Kepong Baru.

“Three of them have been cordoned off by DBKL enforcement officers who are looking into the licensing matter,” he said.

Yee urged DBKL’s Engineering Department to take strict action against the companies involved as the equipment had not been maintained properly.

He said some electronic components were left exposed to the elements, including wires that could endanger pedestrians.

A resident living in Jalan Antoi 1, who only wanted to be identified as Lee, worried about possible radiation from the transmitter and stability of the tower.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Metro News

Stress-free Ramadan buffet spread awaits in Bangi resort
No such thing as free parking
Mark of faith and felicity
Gunners’ high-stakes derby
No to foreign traders at festive bazaars
Penang model for national blueprint on animal farms
Ipoh traders warned not to sublet lots at Ramadan sites
City look to keep pace as Newcastle bring real threat
Sweet bliss in green rice discs
Workshops to move out of housing areas

Others Also Read