LED lights for over 5,000 Selangor strata buildings


Pangsapuri Intan in Taman Bukit Permai is the first strata building in Ampang Jaya to take part in the Light Source in Darkness programme.

MORE than 5,000 strata buildings in Selangor will be fitted with energy-saving LED lights that could see up to an 80% reduction in their monthly electricity bills.

The 10-year plan is being carried out by the state government, along with Selangor Property and Housing Board (LPHS) and Synergy Group.

The Light Source in Darkness programme aims to replace existing lights in common areas of residential strata buildings with energy-saving ones, with zero upfront costs.

State housing, urban well-being and entrepreneur development committee chairman Rodziah Ismail said the building management would only have to pay the installation costs from the savings gained.

Lights in the common areas of the flats have been replaced with energy-saving LED bulbs. – Photos: CHAN TAK KONG/The StarLights in the common areas of the flats have been replaced with energy-saving LED bulbs. – Photos: CHAN TAK KONG/The Star

“For example, say a particular electricity bill is typically RM200 and after the installation, there is a RM100 reduction.

“Then the management would use 60% of the amount saved to repay the installation company while the remaining 40% would go to the JMB or MC,” she said during the launch at Pangsapuri Intan in Taman Bukit Permai, Ampang, Selangor.

She said this would help to offset the cost of the installation fees and push forward the state’s green initiative.

“So far, more than 20 buildings have been installed with energy-efficient lights.

“I urge more joint management bodies and management corporations to take part in this programme as it has many benefits in the long run,” she added.

The Light Source in Darkness effort also falls under LPHS’ wider Green Initiative Programme, to make Selangor a more liveable Smart and Green State by 2025.

Pangsapuri Intan Residents Association chairman Saad Musa hoped that the monthly savings would go towards maintaining and upgrading the flat’s other infrastructure.

“This is an old flat and we need to ensure maintenance is done, such as repairing the blocks and tarring the inner roads.”

Also present at the event were Ampang Jaya Municipal Council Commissioner of Buildings (COB) Department head Muhammad Rosizhar Abdul Rahim and Synergy Group strategic project director Aaron Wong.

Article type: free
User access status:
Subscribe now to our Premium Plan for an ad-free and unlimited reading experience!
   

Next In Metro News

Covid-19: S’gor recorded six deaths weekly on average this year
Residents protest casket business expansion
Sirim-certified helmets for needy Batu Kawan folk
More entrepreneurs standing on own feet
Petrol stations collecting funds for transit centres
Plogging to keep Sepang river clean
Single mum’s crumbling home in Seremban repaired by developer
Elegant feasts for discerning diners
Stop throwing grease into drains, eateries told
Negri authorities to probe cause of pollution to Sg Pajam

Others Also Read