Selangor exco member hopes health screening programme will be extended


Johary signing a plaque to mark the launch of Medan Selera Puchong Permai. Looking on are Dr Siti Mariah and Subang Jaya deputy mayor Mohd Zulkurnain Che Ali. – AZLINA ABDULLAH/The Star

SERI Serdang assemblyman Dr Siti Mariah Mahmud hopes there will be allocation under the state government’s 2023 budget to continue the Saring Selangor health screening programme.

She said there had been positive response to the initiative that was newly introduced this year.

“We targeted about 500 persons for screenings at each state constituency where the programme was held and all 56 constituencies exceeded that number,” said Dr Siti Mariah, who is also Selangor public health, unity, women empowerment and family committee chairman.

“Saring Selangor is focused on people who are at risk health-wise, such as those with a family history of certain diseases.

“In the Klang district alone, more than 1,000 people were detected to be at risk of having chronic kidney disease,” she added.

While she did not have the data on hand, Dr Siti Mariah said 66% of those who registered for the programme via the Selangkah app showed up for their health screenings.

She added that a smaller-scale version of Saring Selangor would be held at the next few Jelajah Selangor Penyayang, a district-level event held to showcase various programmes by the state government, subsidiaries and agencies.

Saring Selangor is a health- screening programme that helps individuals to identify and understand their health status, then seek early treatment to prevent their conditions from worsening.

The early detection programme covers three screening categories: non-communicable diseases such as heart disease, hypertension, diabetes and kidney disease, four types of cancers and eye conditions such as glaucoma.

Dr Siti Mariah was speaking after the launch of Medan Selera Puchong Permai at Persiaran Puchong Permai in Puchong.

Subang Jaya mayor Datuk Johary Anuar said the food court cost the Subang Jaya City Council (MBSJ) RM1.6mil to build and it was fully completed in April 2022.

“This food court sits on a 0.16ha site. There are 20 trading lots, toilets, surau and 28 parking bays,” he said.

“The food court’s premises was part of the former Uptown Bazaar business site and food stalls that burnt down in February 2019.

“The redevelopment project that started in 2020 is also part of MBSJ’s efforts to restructure the land use and better manage business in the local area, particularly those run by roadside traders,” said Johary.

Article type: free
User access status:
Subscribe now to our Premium Plan for an ad-free and unlimited reading experience!
   

Next In Metro News

MPK offers discounts on parking violations from Dec 12
Consumers in Kelantan owe RM28.5mil in unpaid water bills
10th Shah Alam mayor sworn in
Plans to turn Bukit Ampang into recreational area under review
Work on centralised quarters for foreign workers in Balakong underway
Exco member: Velodrome too costly and of limited use
‘Prioritise environment in 2023 state budget’
Indian petty traders want special committee formed to assist them
Striking right balance for success
Play golf and shave head in aid of cancer patients on Dec 16

Others Also Read