Covid-19 survivor recounts near brush with death

Mohd Izuan showing a photo when he was 70kg before he contracted Covid-19 and lost 15kg.

A FORMER Covid-19 category five patient is thanking his lucky stars after fighting for his life for 45 days and living to tell the tale.

After being confirmed positive on May 2, Mohd Izuan Rosmi’s ordeal included induced coma for 22 days at the Covid-19 Intensive Care Unit (Covid-19 ICU) at Sultanah Aminah Hospital (HSA) in Johor Baru.

The 35-year-old online entrepreneur and gym instructor said even doctors were surprised that he pulled through after going through a critical phase.

“According to the doctors, Covid-19 stage five patients are put on the ventilator for 14 days, after which they will be taken off it as the chances for recovery is slim, ’’ he said in an interview from his house in Taman Maju Jaya.

Initially, Mohd Izuan thought he was suffering from dengue when a blood test on May 1 at a private hospital showed low platelet count.“I felt feverish and went back to the hospital the next day. The test results showed that I was Covid-19 positive, ” he said.

His parents and brother, as well as his fiancée Husnulhatimah Zainudin, 25, went for a swab test in Bukit Indah on May 4, but only Mohd Izuan tested positive.

He was taken by ambulance that day to Permai Hospital in Tampoi where he was to be quarantined until May 10.

However, his blood oxygen level dropped on the second day and he was transferred to HSA on May 5, and subsequently admitted to the ICU.

“I was first intubated on May 9 and was in an induced coma.

“I woke up on May 13, which was the first day of Hari Raya Aidilfitri and made video calls to my family asking for their forgiveness, ” he said.

His blood oxygen level dropped again on May 14, and his second intubation was from May 14 to 16. He woke from the second induced coma on May 17.

But his condition deteriorated the next day and Mohd Izuan had high fever, sudden increase in heart rate and viral infections.

He was intubated for a third time on May 23.

Then on May 28, he was transferred to a normal ward and the ventilator was removed as he had already been on it for two weeks.“My mother told me a doctor called my family on May 24, around midnight, and asked them to be prepared for the worst as my condition was deteriorating, ’’ he said, adding that he woke up from the coma on June 6.

Mohd Izuan underwent surgery on June 1, where a tracheostomy tube was affixed at his neck to allow air to enter the lungs.

Breathing is then facilitated through the tube, bypassing the mouth, nose and throat.

“I have to live with the tube until the end of the year and will visit the hospital again to see if it is going to be temporary or permanent, ” he said.

Mohd Izuan, who has never suffered from any serious illnesses, saw his weight dip from 70kg to 55kg.

He did not expect the virus to have such a lasting impact on patients like him.

“I am fortunate to have my family, fiancée and friends giving moral support in going through this difficult period of my life, ” he said, hoping the public would not hesitate to get their Covid-19 vaccination.

He was discharged on June 18, and would get his first dose of the Covid-19 vaccine after 100 days from the date he tested positive for the virus.

Izuan hoped society would not discriminate and isolate former Covid-19 patients or their families.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Subscribe now to our Premium Plan for an ad-free and unlimited reading experience!

Covid-19 ,


Next In Metro News

KL Mayor: 25% of Bukit Dinding hillslope site must be kept as green area
Possible candidates for KL’s top post
Residents foresee safety, hygiene issues from Section 12 food park
Concern over landslip-hit school wall
Selangor exco member hopes health screening programme will be extended
State steps in to salvage Kg Koskan development
Johor mulls setting up agricultural product collection hub in Segamat
Poor turnout for free health tests worrying
Agencies prepare for dangers of rainy season
Hospital seeking patient’s kin

Others Also Read