KUALA Lumpur City Hall (DBKL) confirms it is in the midst of preparing standard operating procedures (SOPs) for night markets in the city.
DBKL Corporate Planning Department director Khairul Azmir Ahmad said DBKL is looking into the matter.
"The Licensing and Enforcement departments are coming out with the SOP guidelines to find a solution for night market traders.
"However, please give us some time to iron out the process," he told StarMetro, without committing to a deadline on when the SOPs would be ready
This is after Federal Territories Minister Tan Sri Annuar Musa said that DBKL was asked to prepare SOPs for night markets in a post on his Facebook page.
"Traders must seek City Hall's approval and the operational hours can be adjusted.
"Most importantly, the SOPs must follow through at all situations," he said in his Facebook post Wednesday (Jan 27).
However, a check on Thursday (Jan 28) showed that the post seems to have taken down.
Previously, the Kuala Lumpur Night Market Association had appealed to DBKL and the National Security Council to allow night markets to operate during the movement control order period, but to no avail.
After Senior Minister (Security) Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob announced that operating hours for restaurants and eateries had been extended till 10pm, the association felt that night market traders are being sidelined, as they are still not allowed to operate.
Secretary Charles James Roy hoped night markets can be reopened as soon as possible.
"Two weeks have passed since MCO 2.0 was implemented on Jan 13 and we are asking for immediate operation of night markets.
"We hope to hear from DBKL as soon as possible," he said.
Did you find this article insightful?
69% readers found this article insightful